Recommendations for a rabbetting set

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Company Xmas party today, bonus expected, tools desired. I am thinking about getting a multi bearing rabbet router bit, so I can make rabbets of any depth. Any suggestions, especially any that are carried at Klingspor. It is very near where I work. Thanks, Dave:)

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
daveo, i have a cmt set. they have additional bearing sets, something like 10 or 11 bearings in addition to the six the set comes with, its worked very well so far for me.

phillip

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Dave, I also have the CMT set and it performs well. I do have one caveat, however.

I feel it is best suited to outside rabbet use. If you use it to cut inside rabbets on a frame I have found it to create a larger radius cut than some other rabbet bits dedicated to one size. In some of the boxes I make, for instance, I cut the rabbet after the box is assembled and if I used the larger diameter rabbet set the lid would not sit well in the rounded corner areas if that makes any sense.

But yes, with that one exception I find the multiple bearing sets to perform as advertised.

Charles M

New User
Charles
Dave,

If you are going to Klingspor's Woodworking Shop you will probably see the Freud rabbeting set.;-)

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I was flipping through an old issue of, I think, Pop. Ww'ing last night. The big router issue, and saw a good article on router bits and Freud took the top spot in both quality and value, with CMT in 2nd or 3rd place. I unfortunately didn't get my Xmas bonus, yet???, But I will be a Klingspors tomorrow and I will check out what they have. I wonder if router bit qualify for the 10% TWA disc.???

Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
Router bits are included in the 10% discount at my local Klingspor's - I should know, I've been adding to my collection pretty regularly now. :roll:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Dave, what is a Christmas Bonus? Being self employed and previously a teacher, I don't remember exactly what a Christmas bonus is. Check out the Infinity set along with the MSLC Kantina(spelling ?) set.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Bruce, a Xmas bonus is compensation for being under paid over the year...or should be. I would rather be self-employed, doing something I really enjoy (and hate). But as I have heard said many times..once you turn a fun hobby into a profession, it isn't a fun hobby no more. Danged if you do, danged if you don't. Thanks for the bit recommendation, I get MSLC's catalog and they do have some nice stuff. Is it available in retail outlets, or only mail-order?

Dave:)

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
DaveO said:
But as I have heard said many times..once you turn a fun hobby into a profession, it isn't a fun hobby no more.

Would be nice to test that theory for yourself though, wouldn't it? I don't have much, but I have my dreams. :lol:

R

rickc

Jonz said:
Would be nice to test that theory for yourself though, wouldn't it? I don't have much, but I have my dreams. :lol:

Can't say that I REALLY tested the theory, but when I was laid off, I checked out the Furniture Medic franchise. Thought it might be a fit, and a way to develop skills. They made it VERY clear, it was a BUSINESS and NOT a hobby. Pointed out little things like marketing and sales, "networking", bookkeeping, etc. One thing that became increasingly clear - the time that I used for personal enjoyment of the hobby would dwindle considerably. Not saying some can't do that (I see several in the woodworking club), but I think it takes a special person to do so. What I have observed is those who are very comfortable speaking with someone and especially confident in their ability to try new things and believing "Why can't I do that too?" seem to be able to handle it fine. Once I started getting serious about pursuing the profession, I had to admit I didn't have what it took and decided to stay with the hobby!

woodguy1975

New User
John
Whiteside are the best to get. A rabbet bit is a pretty heavily used bit so you need to get a good one. Klingspor's just recently started carrying Whiteside. The order I prefer bits in are Whiteside, Frued, CMT, Katana, Woodline, Woodcraft, MLCS. I think The CMT and Katana are about a tye. For bits I don't expect to use much I buy MLCS to save some bucks.

Good Luck,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS