Recommendation for someone who will sharpen western (Disston) handsaws

Rob C

New User
Rob
I am looking for a recommendation of someone within 60 mile or so of the Triad who will do a good job sharpening some Disston handsaws of mine.
Thanks Rob C

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Not to change the subject or inadvertently insult, but in my opinion if you use a hand tool you should be able to sharpen it.

I'm pretty sure Chris Black as well as Richard (greywolf) teaches saw sharpening. I learned from Bill Anderson when he was teaching in his home shop. I consider that time very well spent.

I sharpen my own saws and occasionally will sharpen for a close friend.
Won't do it for pay, too tedious for a 64 year old ADHD.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I occasionally do sharpen handsaws for folks, but I prefer to teach people to sharpen their own. I, much like Mike think if your going to own, use, and maintain a tool then you should know how to sharpen and repair. These tools are not consumables, they are heirloom items that will out last several generations. Most of my saws are older than my great grand parents and are as good today as they were when first purchased.
I would gladly help you with your saw, but I have to tell you up front, I do not provide this service full time and I have a business that takes up most of my time and my lead time right now is six to eight weeks. First I will have to assess the condition of the saw and I will tell you what needs to be done for it to preform as it should.
a basic touch up 35.00
a sharpening 50.00
retoothing depending on the saw 150.00
Re-tensioning a saw plate or a back saw 75.00
removing a kink 35.00
straightening a saw plate 40.00.
cleaning a saw plate 100.00
all other repairs are cost plus.
all work is preformed by hand, that means no machines.

if I teach you in a class we cover all the needed materials and tools needed to become proficient with practice at maintaining your saws. A class would cost you about 150.00 for a day, and you will walk away with more information and practical knowledge than you can handle. The upside is this, I provide handouts with helpful hints and a phone number so you can always call and ask a question. I mat not be available when you call, but I do return calls as promptly as possible.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS