Recommendation for small handheld router

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyps

New User
Tony
Morning all,
I am looking into purchasing one of these but have never used one. I know there are variable speed models as well as other options.....
Would appreciate your suggestions/comments for a good, well priced model.
It will be used for some trim/finish carpentry, cabinet work, detail/work on smaller projects and general work.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Tony ...

bwat

New User
Bill
If I were to buy a new small router today it would be the new Dewalt plunge/stationaly combo unit. It has been getting great reviews.:tool:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
If I were to buy a new small router today it would be the new Dewalt plunge/stationaly combo unit. It has been getting great reviews.:tool:

+1 on the Dewalt DWP611PK (1 1/4Hp)! (This kit includes the plunge base for motor as well as a fixed.)

I have used the Bosch Colt for some time, but after buying the Dewalt, it is now my goto small router. Love the plunge base and the dust collection attachment for the two bases work very well. (Both if these features were never offered with the Bosch Colt.)

Well not a router to be plunging wide dado's all day, it is a good solid router. (For a little more hand held heft, I would recommend the Dewalt 618 @ 2 1/4hp. I also understand that the Milwaukee is a nice little router in the 2.25hp range as well.)

Wayne

JWBWW

New User
John
Visit the pawn shops and get a Porter Cable 690. You should be able to find one for $50 to $70. Then adding a plunge base when you need one... a set of template guides... a variable speed switch as need arises. The PC 690 is nearly the universal router. Eventually, most people end up owning multiple routers. And at least in my observation... most of them own at least one 690.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Visit the pawn shops and get a Porter Cable 690. You should be able to find one for $50 to $70. Then adding a plunge base when you need one... a set of template guides... a variable speed switch as need arises. The PC 690 is nearly the universal router. Eventually, most people end up owning multiple routers. And at least in my observation... most of them own at least one 690.

Adding a plunge base to the PC 690 as an aftermarket buy is not cheap to do. I looked into it yesterday. :no:

It will cost about $110 just for the plunge base alone if purchased new. The 690 will also fit the 890 plunge base. I didn't check ebay to see what they go for if parted out.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
I like my PC310 laminate trimmer. It truly is a fabulous little tool in many ways. It is built like a tank, it fits my hand just so and the height adjustment is so easy to get exactly where I want it to be. About the only downside is the price. I bought mine for about half what they go for now. I don't know where, when, how or why they shot up so much in price. If you want a lifetime tool that will give you satisfaction with every use, this is the way to go.

The downside compared to the newer mini-routers is that it only does one thing (albeit very well) - no tilt, no plunge just good old up and down adjustments. And if you choose to do so, it is very easy to make your own base and increase the versatility. My two cents - YMMV ....

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Adding a plunge base to the PC 690 as an aftermarket buy is not cheap to do. I looked into it yesterday. :no:

It will cost about $110 just for the plunge base alone if purchased new. The 690 will also fit the 890 plunge base. I didn't check ebay to see what they go for if parted out.
Watch CL, as 690 combos go for about $125. The motor and two bases. Want to borrow a plunge base?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
+1 from me as well. Slick little router - it has been great the one time I used it :>

+ another one for the Dewalt DWP611PK. Our very own Gregory Paolinia did a router comparison in FWW magazine last year, and this was his top choice for a small router. I really like mine. It's well balanced, easy to adjust and install bits in, and the clear base allows you to see where you are routing.

I also have a Bosch Colt - it's good but the Dewalt is better.

For larger routers, the Festool models are great.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
Watch CL, as 690 combos go for about $125. The motor and two bases. Want to borrow a plunge base?

+1 On Bruce's suggestion. I picked up a 690 motor with fixed, plunge base and case for $60 last month, granted I had been watching for about two months so patience is required. I've seen the forementioned dewalt occasionally on CL for a little over $100.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
For a small router, get a laminate trimmer, which is a router for one-hand use. I have a P-C, which works just fine, except that the collet usually doesn't release the bit without some persuasion. You're limited to maybe 1/2" diameter cutters and multiple passes if you're going deep, but there are places where the small size makes it invaluable.

Roy G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS