Recomendations needed for a benchtop mortising machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimThomasson

New User
Jim
.... still got some of Uncle Sam's money to burn and thinking about a good middle of the road mortising machine. General, light work so I don't need top of the line.

Recommendations anyone?

sediener

New User
Steve
I just got the PM701 and really like it. Its a little more expensive than the others but it is definitely a step up in quality and strength. It comes with a free stand during this promo (if WC ever gets it in stock). Might be able to get 10% off at Klingspor this week.

- Steve

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I have had the Delta 14-651 for 4 or 5 years. I have made a lot of mortise and tenon joints with it. It's a decent machine - it makes good joints. I think I paid around 225 dollars or so. It's still going strong.

There are better machines at a much higher price point and there are worse machines at a higher price point.

Amazon has had several "give away" price levels on this unit in the past three years (after I bought mine of course).

Chuck

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'll have to second Chuck's thoughts. I too have the Delta 14-651 and it's fine machine at a good price. I really like the cast iron table and easily adjustable fence. The hold down works great. I have heard that the stock chisels aren't the best, but I haven't found any issues with them, and have only needed to sharpen the most used one (3/8") once since I've had it.
MTCW,
Dave:)

FuzzWuzz16

New User
Jim Fossler
Jim,
I've had the Steel City machine for about a year-and-a-half and really like it a lot.
Jim

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
I've got the heavier Delta. I don't know if they are still selling two bench top models but when I bought mine they did. It does what it's suppost to. The things to look for are; large heavy table, good hold downs, strong arm/handle and depth of cut.
Rob

Nativespec

New User
David
You can do it with a plunge router. I had the General brand with the tilt feature, but sold it after buying the Domino.

David

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS