reclaimed barn siding (cedar)

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
My cousin gave me some wood that was removed from a barn that sat on their property last fall. There is some pine, oak, & cedar. From the weathered surface, it was hard to determine which was pine and which was cedar, not until i an it through the planer.

I decided to make a couple of cedar bath mats, and finished with 2 coats of satin spar urethane.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Beautiful wood. The planer reveals what was hiding inside that gray exterior.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
That is an amazing transformation...you never know what lies beneath reclaimed wood!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
At first I thought you did a before and after picture, but it seems they are different boards?

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
At first I thought you did a before and after picture, but it seems they are different boards?
Busted! Good eye Hank.

The end products are actually from another board I did not capture photos of ahead of time, but are from the same source. The spar urethane deepened the coloring more than I had imagined it would, after using it on some cypress for another project.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
the first boards showing the weathered finish was taken after I re-sawed on my table saw to provide the bookmatch boards. Once I ran through the planer, they are just under 1/2" thick.

The boards for the cedar mats were not resawn, but simply ran through my planer.

In each case, it resulted in beautiful project wood!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS