Recent Sandpaper Discussion on NCWW Facebook Group

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
We just had a great discussion about some of the different sandpapers available and this Jonathan Katz-Moses YouTube sandpaper test was posted. If you haven't seen it it's very good and he used a robotic arm and pneumatic sanding head from ATI Automation in Apex to do the sanding. It applied a precise amount of pressure and motion so it's a fair comparison. The "cost per gram of sawdust" and "total grams of sawdust per sheet" are good ways to look at it instead of only comparing per disc cost. Here's a link to the video and to the results.
The Great Sandpaper Showdown: Top 3 Sandpapers For Woodworking In 2021

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
This is only a good comparison if you only sand on flat surfaces. So keep in mind what kind of sanding you are doing. I used the 3M xtract on piece with smooth curves and it tore to shreds quickly. But I can verify it was pretty good on flat surfaces. Not as good as Mirka Abernet, or Klingpors Klingnet for me. That’s because I’m not a robot. I get tried, impatient and stretch my sandpaper as long as I can.

Also, the measurement for success was material removed. I wonder if the brands that did well on this metic were actually the same grit? I’m sure grit ratings by each manufacturer will vary significantly. I didn’t see any measurements done to verify grit was + or - 10%?! In other words how do we know a 3M 120 grit isn’t actually 100? If you want to remove a lot of material faster, why would you use a higher grit?

I’ve very recently tried the following and for my abusive style of sanding here is my rating:

1. Mirka Abranet - Klingpors Klingnet. Mirka is more expensive but lasts a bit longer…maybe? Klingpors is less expensive than Mirka and (almost?) as good…like I wonder if it’s actually the same stuff. (They are both aluminum-oxide). Either way I like them both because they stand up well to my abusive sanding habits.
2. 3M Xtract, OK but only on flat surfaces. It’s expensive so I personally won’t buy it again.
3. Diablo Sandnet - I got some because HD had 60 5” disks for $20. So it’s cheap…and it’s crap. This stuff falls apart even on flat surfaces.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I asked Michael Ziegler at Klingspor if they were jumping on the Ceramic abrasive bandwagon and he essentially said the same as you. They have a ceramic line for metal and don't recommend it for wood. I agree with the Abranet. It's all I've used since it came out. My only quibble with it is the printing wears off and if I'm not careful it gets mixed up with other grits.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I watched this video a fairly long time ago, not sure how long.

As a retired engineer with a pretty good knowledge of testing variables I found this video to have a very narrow focus. I would not limit my decision making on this video alone. I am sure based on years on the forum nobody would.

It seems my biggest question is when to change to a new disc.

We all make different things, with different woods, with different tools and all of these change over time. I would suggest finding what works for you and meets your desired results within your budget. Plan on constant change, the same product today may not be the same product tomorrow.

And, yes, I did learn from watching this video.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have Cubitron, Diablo and Abranet. All work well depending on what you sand.

I also bought some no name Sand paper (60,80,100) that is cloth back and that stuff never dies, Great for hogging on an real heavy demo clean up.

IMHO, there is no silver bullet brand on sand paper, just depends on what you are doing, then match one that works for that condition.
Then the hard part......
remembering which one it was ..... ;) :D

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
To @Wilsoncb 's point - Klingspor has some "silver bullets" of their own - but if you ask an expert - you need to choose the tool for the job you are working on.
That is why there are so many different abrasives out there and so many opinions on how and why they each work better in a given example.

I got samples of Klingspor abrasives for a factory working on fiberglass bus shells - the Klingspor abrasive along with a tool change DEMOLISHISED Mirka.

In another example, the Mirka out-performed the Klingnet. I still think that was more personal preference, but that is part of the decision as well.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Based on the video above I bought the sample pack of the 3M cubitron, while it did seem to last a long time I did have some complaints about it. First using my DeWalt ROS connected to a shop vac the dust collection was not what I have grown to expect from normal holed sandpaper disc. The other issue I had was a like to switch grits during sanding, for example I was sanding drawer fronts and like to go through all the grits on one drawer front then move to the next one and start over since the piece is already on the bench. The numbers on the back seem to disappear after minimal use making it hard to know which grit is which without rubbing the surface and making a guess (not a huge deal but still annoying). I think for me I'll be sticking with the Mirka that I've used for years.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Based on the video above I bought the sample pack of the 3M cubitron, while it did seem to last a long time I did have some complaints about it. First using my DeWalt ROS connected to a shop vac the dust collection was not what I have grown to expect from normal holed sandpaper disc. The other issue I had was a like to switch grits during sanding, for example I was sanding drawer fronts and like to go through all the grits on one drawer front then move to the next one and start over since the piece is already on the bench. The numbers on the back seem to disappear after minimal use making it hard to know which grit is which without rubbing the surface and making a guess (not a huge deal but still annoying). I think for me I'll be sticking with the Mirka that I've used for years.
Have you tried the Klingspor Klingnet?
I would be curious since you have some "first-hand experience" with both the 3M and Mirka brands.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
For me, the bit points of that comparison video isn't so much what is best to use, but what brands are likely to be disappointing. Recently I got a new ROS and tried both the Festool brand pads and the Norton pads of the same grit. I looked at the comparison chart and it reflected exactly what I was perceiving about the relative performance of the two I'd worked with. While the Norton did a little better job, once the pad was dull, the much more pliable Norton pads were great to keep around for hand sanding details like edge easing.

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Regarding the 3m link on amazon - how is sandpaper "Virtually Dust-Free"? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? I'll give it a shot anyway
1668913529709.png

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
For me, the bit points of that comparison video isn't so much what is best to use, but what brands are likely to be disappointing. Recently I got a new ROS and tried both the Festool brand pads and the Norton pads of the same grit. I looked at the comparison chart and it reflected exactly what I was perceiving about the relative performance of the two I'd worked with. While the Norton did a little better job, once the pad was dull, the much more pliable Norton pads were great to keep around for hand sanding details like edge easing.
I have always had a stack of used ROS pads. Never thought about why I keep some but not others. Thanks for turning the light switch on for me Bob.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS