Recent Projects: Key / Wallet Storage, Zebrawood Tissue box

BKHam

Bradley
User
IMG_20200429_085818_627.jpg20200430_093925.jpg20200430_093947.jpg20200420_112026.jpg20200429_085329.jpg

i had some african mahogany boards that were pretzel shaped so i came up with a small project to use them. i ripped the boards so that i had strips of rift sawn and strips of flat sawn. the rift sawn was turned into the sides and top and the less attractive flat was the bottom.

found a nice straight grained piece for the drawer front.

the back - the top section you see is crossgrain glued but its maybe 1.5 inches. there is a floating panel in so its not glued the entire height. pine drawer sides.

one thing i forget (repeatedly) when using thin stock / small boxes is that the drawer ends up having a similar mass to the case. even if its a smooth action, the case can move. i should have made the bottom 4/4 to beef up the mass.

second item shown is a tissue box that i've made about 60 times in different forms.

trying plan for movement and to give it a seamless look i used veneer the top over mdf or plywood, and miter all 4 sides. the top of the sides would be mitered. it lined up perfectly about 20% of the time. I've since changed to creating homemade plywood. in this case, 3 ply, all scraps from the zebra wood. then i put it into a shallow rabbet.

then if my box isn't square, who cares. i use a shooting board to fit it to the opening.

i've stopped adding hidden splines as well. just overkill and adds a lot of complication. with the top glued in, its plenty sturdy.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Is the tissue box the last one of the five? The first 3 look like an office inbox/storage drawer.

Nice work BTW.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS