Recent Pens and a display box...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badabing

New User
Joe
Hi everyone! I've been pretty busy so my spare time has been spent in the shop rather than on the 'puter. So I haven't been posting as much as I'd like to lately. Anyway, thought I'd post some of the stuff that's been keeping me busy these last two weeks...

I made about a dozen pens to show some executives at my mom's office. Turns out they didn't buy any right away but the are definitely interested in getting some as gifts for employees! Here is a pic of the display case I made with all those fancy pens in it:

The box is walnut with black velvet lining and a plexiglass panel in the top. I made the box with a space at the top for the tags to sit in. The tags are just printed descriptions of each pen with the price on the back.

The pens are (from left to right): 4 Ultra Cigar Pens in Maple Burl, Buckeye Burl, Boxelder burl, and Amboyna Burl, 4 Sierra Click Pens in Bronze Box Elder Burl, Afzelia Xylay, Desert Ironwood, Figured Mesquite, and 3 Seirra pens in Zebrawood, Red Beeswing Narra, and Box Elder Burl. Those last two are the upgraded kits with Black Titanium and Platinum, really nice stuff!

Thanks for looking and I hope to get more active around here pretty soon!

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Great looking pens Joe! :icon_thum I really like those Sierra Upgraded pens. I'll have to give those a try soon. I'm sure you'll have great success with them.

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Great job on the pens AND display box, Joe! You have been very busy on that spinny thing...

Where do you get your "upgraded kits"? Also, if I'm not prying too much, what price range would you charge for those pens?

Keep it up:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sweet pens and display box. I really like the upgraded Sierra pens. I would be interested in where you got those kits also. I have never been a fan of the Sierra because there was too much plastic, the upgraded metal platings make them look a lot like casing pens.
Dave:)

Badabing

New User
Joe
Thanks guys! To answer the questions, I got all those kits and the burl woods from Arizona Silhouette. Bill Baumbeck is the owner and he is a joy to work with. He always includes a little something extra with each order too!

As for the pricing on the pens, I have the Ultra cigar pens priced at $55, the regular Sierras priced from $48 to $52, and the upgraded Sierras at $70. I base my prices on a combination of the cost of the kit and wood, plus labor for how long it takes to make a pen. The burls are harder to turn because they are so prone to chip out so I always charge a premium for those woods. It takes me anywhere from 30 minutes to 90 minutes to make a pen these days.

Badabing

New User
Joe
Thanks Ed! :eusa_naug Shhhh :crossedlips: Once I get it figured out I'll post something about it :wconfused:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Great looking pens. Y'all are gonna keep posting pictures of turned things and slowly get me converted to the dark side of woodworking. I can already see clouds lurking overhead.:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS