Received a Free Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ward Green

Ward
Senior User
So my father mentioned his buddy was willing to part ways with his lathe. He didn't mention any specifics but I visited VA this weekend and picked up a functioning secondhand tool. Honestly I never thought I would have a lathe, but now my possibilities for design include wood turning. I do not know much about lathes, and I have absolutely no experience. I took some pictures prior to cleaning it up. Tell me what y'all thing - I am fielding suggestions on how to learn/ what to build first.

Aside from the new tool and what I should build, I need suggestions on how to store/secure it. I do not technically have a "workshop" space. As a rough measurement the lathe may be 4ft and a two person move. It isn't exactly mobile, even though it's a benchtop lathe. I look forward to hearing from y'all.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1390.jpg
    IMG_1390.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_1391.jpg
    IMG_1391.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_1394.jpg
    IMG_1394.jpg
    623.4 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_1394.jpg
    IMG_1394.jpg
    654.2 KB · Views: 388

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ward,although the pictures were a little askew, I think with a little effort that lathe and chisels are just enough to get you infected with the 'spinny disease'. With a little training or watching some YouTube tutorials, you should be able to tell whether or not you are able to start sliding down that slippery slope. Just be careful......

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Ward, I don't see it in the pictures, but I hope you got the tool rests with it. They are the parts you rest the chisel on while making the cut. Usually there are 2 that come with most lathes. Enjoy that new tool!:icon_cheers:tool:

Ward Green

Ward
Senior User
Ward, I don't see it in the pictures, but I hope you got the tool rests with it.

Good Evening Bruce is it the piece which slides along the rails of which you are speaking? You can see just below the arrow the base which has a wheel to adjust it up and down the tool.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1389.jpg
    IMG_1389.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 335

Ward Green

Ward
Senior User
Ward,although the pictures were a little askew, I think with a little effort that lathe and chisels are just enough to get you infected with the 'spinny disease'.

Yeah, What are the symptoms to be looking out for? Lots of bowls, pens, chair legs or stair balusters?

awldune

Sam
User
Free is good, and this should be enough to give you a taste of woodturning.

See if you can figure out whether the headstock has an external thread and an internal taper. If it has a 1''-8TPI thread and a #2 morse taper, you can probably carry forward any accessories if you upgrade to a newer lathe.

Your tool set should be serviceable if you can sharpen the tools (a cheap bench grinder is fine to start) but it does not include anything suitable for faceplate (e.g., bowls) turning.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My very first lathe was very similar to that. If those rails are hollow tubes they will vibrate with any larger turnings. I went to a salvage yard and bought solid steel rods to replace the hollow tubes on mine and it helped with stability a great deal.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
In answer to your question about the tool rest Ward, I can't tell from the picture, but it very well could be the part you pointed to. Hope you get a lot of use and enjoyment from your new lathe.

awldune

Sam
User
In answer to your question about the tool rest Ward, I can't tell from the picture, but it very well could be the part you pointed to. Hope you get a lot of use and enjoyment from your new lathe.

That is the tool rest. Compare with this image:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1600px-Buffalo-WL-4-Lathe.jpg
    1600px-Buffalo-WL-4-Lathe.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 251
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS