Ready to build the new bench BUT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I am now ready to build the new shop bench. The bench will be a 3'X6' and approx 35" tall on locking wheels. This bench will be everything from a catch all to my layout table to a scaffold when working in the shop on my ceiling lights and other items. What I am getting at is this bench is not going to be one of those fine woodworking benches that most of you guys have and use.
Here is a pic of a basic bench that I want to use and add my woodworking vise to the right side. It will have a lower shelf to it to toss my sanders or cutoffs while working on the bench. It will be kept the same height as the out feed table and table saw so everything is one height.
I will be using 3/4" MDF with a fiber board top so I can replace the top layer if it gets damaged or just worn.
I will have to make a slight overhang where the vise is going unless I mount the vise 4" in from corner.
What I am not sure of at this point is do I use 2X4 to go around the top edge like in the pic, or do I replace that with 2X6 to beef it up a little more? The MDF and fiber board will not overhang the top of the frame. Everything will be flush. The two pics are similar with the legs being slightly different.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as usual.
Frank
Workbench 3.jpg Workbench 1.jpg

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Raymond,
I already have the four wheels like the ones I showed that came off the old bench that I scraped out yesterday. The bench had to be at least 400 pounds and the bench seemed fine and I rarely locked them. Now maybe because the bench was so heavy, the wheels worked out. The ones you show me are very close to what I was going to get but figured repurpose seems to be my theme in the shop lately.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If it were mine I would use a 2 x 6 band and rabbet the top out to receive the MDF. Leave 1" standing on the upper face and let the lateral struts drop to the bottom of the rabbet.

MDWine

New User
Michael
Definitely monitoring this discussion. I want to build a bench, but have too many design ideas. Ultimately something like Norm's "Workshop Hutch", but on casters with smaller cabinets/drawers.

BTW, on the top bench frame, what is being used for the legs? Kinda looks like 4x4's?? or maybe layered 2x4's?

Lowlander

New User
Chris
Frank, my bench is also a "do all" bench. One thing I eventually added was a drawer. A drawer for pencils, measuring tools, a carburetor needle , ect. Things that I normally misplace.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Here is where I am now. Got the bench painted and bottom shelf and top installed. Still need to add the sheet of fiber board to the top. Also need to add the pads for the vise. I may add a small drawer just for marking tools, but that is not for sure yet. All I wanted was simple and it had to be 1/8" lower then the saw and I got both.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2374.jpg
    IMG_2374.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_2375.jpg
    IMG_2375.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_2376.jpg
    IMG_2376.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_2377.jpg
    IMG_2377.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_2378.jpg
    IMG_2378.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 227

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Berta is correct, a good friend once told me you grow a good bench, not build one.

Last edited:

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Other then the wooden pads in the vise, I might add a small drawer behind the vise, this one is done!
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2379.jpg
    IMG_2379.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_2380.jpg
    IMG_2380.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_2381.jpg
    IMG_2381.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 185

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Frank, I think you did a splendid job on your bench! If your right handed, the vise is properly placed, or if your left handed, the vise should be mounted on the opposite side. The paper roll is a really unique idea. I believe you'll enjoy the use of this bench for a long, long time. Thank you for sharing your bench build with us!:icon_cheers:eusa_clap

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Bruce, I am in fact left handed, and had the vise in the same exact spot on my other bench and never had a problem doing anything. I had considered moving the vise on this build, but decided it worked just fine for me in that location so that is what I did. When I make a cut on the vise, I like to be able to hold the cutoff so it does not fall to the floor so I do so with my right hand while cutting with left.
Thank you for the compliment!

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Frank,

Umm... That's because that IS a left handed vise.

;-)

(I'm a lefty too, and that is where my vise is as well!) It's the opposite side of your dominant hand that the vise gets located on as you face the bench. You did well!

K

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The vise placement is interesting, new to me, and I'd have never given it a thought. MY FWW Robert White new fangled bench doesn't have a fixed face vise, but movable pipe clamp vises. I'm ambidextrous so I don't know which hand is which. :eusa_thin

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
I'm also a south paw and just finished a workbench on which I moved the vice to the same end/side as you. My previous table had the vice on the left. I like the new layout much better. BTW, I wish I had a magic wand I could wave to make my shop look as organized as yours. Very nice bench.
Bruce, I am in fact left handed, and had the vise in the same exact spot on my other bench and never had a problem doing anything. I had considered moving the vise on this build, but decided it worked just fine for me in that location so that is what I did. When I make a cut on the vise, I like to be able to hold the cutoff so it does not fall to the floor so I do so with my right hand while cutting with left.
Thank you for the compliment!

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
The bench build and the shop and shop rehab was a little stressful but fun. I really enjoyed taking the pics and posting each day I was able to complete another step. The comments and support from all of you members really made me want to keep going, and I appreciate the encouragement. Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS