Re-purposed blown bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
I had a beautiful lump of Bocote (Central America, specific gravity over 1.0, so the wood does not float), and the coloration on it was simply amazing. It is very dense, oily wood, sort of like lignum vitae. It turned like butter! The outside was beautiful and it came off so clean with the chisel, that I started my sanding at 240 grit. No tearing at all. I was so proud that I was able to make a perfectly square top. No chipping on the corners, all perfect 90 degrees on all 4 sides. I got the entire outside sanded, flipped it over, and started cutting on the inside. I chucked it with a recessed hole instead of a extended plug, because I wanted as much height as possible. I drilled a forsner bit hole in the middle, correctly measuring to leave about a quarter-inch bottom, including the recessing. I calculated enough space so that I even had room to get rid of the center point divot from the forsner bit. What I did not calculate was after getting the divot removed, to make sure I had enough room to make the bottom of the bowl FLAT. I mis-calculated just a weeeee bit on my measurements....and blew out the bottom. So, what do you do with a perfectly good funnel?

Here was my solution. I have a 4" diameter marble made from uranium glass, and after cleaning up the frayed funnel bottom, I inverted it and made it a stand for my giant marble! ("When life gives you lemons......")

Dave Peterson

BocoteBalls.jpg

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
Oh boy that would have made an awesome bowl. You turned the slight miscalculation into a nice piece. Great save. I love turning bacote.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
that is really cool how did you come about getting the marble

I bought it on eBay. There is a company in the Czech Republic that made 2, 3 and 4 inch marbles. The majority of the 3 and 4 inch marbles were sand blasted into little globes to be used for things like corporate gifts (company logo added to the base of the globe). Some of the marbles were sold without the sandblasted continents on them. It cost me about $50 to buy it. I collect this color of glass (both old and new pieces), and already had the big marble in my collection.

Dave Peterson

MagGeorge

New User
George
Great save and great idea! The wood is gorgeous and it makes a great display stand for the wonderful giant marble.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
great solution Dave BTW you now have to change your tagline - "I keep turning bowls but everyone seems to want funnels!" ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS