RDU - CL: Berkel - US Slicing Machine, Inc. - $150 (Smithfield)

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
not mine, not endorsing...

This is noted as a MEAT cutting saw.

IF it would work as wood BS, that large table looks great. I have no idea if the speeds on this saw would be appropriate for wood cutting, or if the wheels and frame would allow band tension appropriately for wood use... but if I needed a BS cheap, this might be of interest. Can't tell what size it is, but the height looks like it would work.

Henry

Berkel - US Slicing Machine, Inc. - tools - by owner - sale

Berkel - US Slicing Machine, Inc. - $150 (Smithfield)
image 4 of 4

01313_g0Ce8e6LHVY_600x450.jpg

00101_dFhto5Qym3B_600x450.jpg

00t0t_d1daVhbAjoE_600x450.jpg

condition: good
make / manufacturer: Berkel
model name / number: V12
Grocery store meat saw/band saw. This unit has a SINGLE PHASE 230 Volt motor.
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Google research indicates it takes a 102" blade.
Interesting wheel scraper.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
The meat bandsaws I have run across have a wheel that doesn't use a tire. The meat cutting blade is more like a wavy edged knife so a wood cutting blade would probably lose its set if you put it on the wheel without adding tires.

Roy G

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Google research indicates it takes a 102" blade.
Interesting wheel scraper.
Woodworking bandsaws make dust, so they mostly use brushes. Meat cutting bandsaws make wet wet goo and bone mush, so they use scrapers. Being low man on the totem pole working at a grocery in high school back in the early 60's cleaning the store's bandsaw (and other equipment in the meat department) fell on me. A meat cutting bandsaw is not appropriate for woodworking and conversely don't cut meat on your woodworking bandsaw.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
A meat cutting bandsaw is not appropriate for woodworking and conversely don't cut meat on your woodworking bandsaw.
So I understand your advice, but what are the differences that make this piece unsuitable to re-purposing? I'm just curious, as I have NO intention of purchasing this. I have never seen a meat slicer saw, and have not looked for specs, but aren't they both Bandsaws? Are the speeds different? Blade thickness and tension capability? THose are all the potential differences I could think of.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Henry,

The various forums seem all over the place about converting a meat saw to wood cutting. I looked into this before I bought my 14” BS.

The one glaring thing I noticed is that there seems to be a lack of direct and photographic evidence supporting that they are good to convert (not that it doesn’t exist). It would be great if there were some tutorials or insight on what was required to make the change to woodcutting.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
So I understand your advice, but what are the differences that make this piece unsuitable to re-purposing? I'm just curious, as I have NO intention of purchasing this. I have never seen a meat slicer saw, and have not looked for specs, but aren't they both Bandsaws? Are the speeds different? Blade thickness and tension capability? THose are all the potential differences I could think of.

1. As has already been mentioned, the wheels don't have/use tires. No crown. You may or may not even be able to find a crowned tire matching the wheel width or circumference.
2. No dust extraction at all. It is designed to catch wet goo - not sawdust.
3. That sliding table may look interesting at first, but it's for holding a beef quarter or side while you dismember it. It's not precision at all. It's not like tight tolerances are needed to cut chops or leg bones..
4. There is no table tilting mechanism. Not needed for cutting up meat primals. Besides, look at the size of the table and read #3 again.
5. I don't really remember (it's 55+ years since I worked in a grocery), but I don't think there was much in the way of adjustments for things like blade tension or wheel tilt.

There are probably other reasons as well but that's what I can come up with off the top of my head.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
1. As has already been mentioned, the wheels don't have/use tires. No crown. You may or may not even be able to find a crowned tire matching the wheel width or circumference.
2. No dust extraction at all. It is designed to catch wet goo - not sawdust.
3. That sliding table may look interesting at first, but it's for holding a beef quarter or side while you dismember it. It's not precision at all. It's not like tight tolerances are needed to cut chops or leg bones..
4. There is no table tilting mechanism. Not needed for cutting up meat primals. Besides, look at the size of the table and read #3 again.
5. I don't really remember (it's 55+ years since I worked in a grocery), but I don't think there was much in the way of adjustments for things like blade tension or wheel tilt.

There are probably other reasons as well but that's what I can come up with off the top of my head.
Good summary - thanks Jim.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS