Raw Bamboo...Any resources?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Hi Folks,
I've been tasked with building a Tiki style facade for Vacation Bible School week at our church. I have some ideas and have a lot of the raw materials but I'm coming up short on the Bamboo needed.
I'm using some of the rough oak I purchased from DaveO for framing.
I'm using grass skirts for the roof thatch and palm leaves collected this weekend at the beach. Does anyone know where I can find bamboo for decoration and construction? I do have a budget to work with.......
Thanks for any suggestions.
Ron

Sweetgum

New User
Brad Keisler
How much bamboo do you need?
What diameter poles do you need?
What length do the poles need to be?
When do you need it?
Do you mind driving to Charlotte to pick it up?

I have a 1+ acre patch on some land down in on Lake Murray in S. Carolina and can likely get what you may need. Sizes up to about 3 to 4 inches in diameter.

Let me know.

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Sweetgum,
I don't mind the drive to Charlotte.
I haven't had any luck finding it up here in Raleigh.
I'm looking for enough to build a tiki hut front as well as some faux furniture (just for looks). I was tasked with this yesterday because the person who was supposed to do it backed out last minute.
I need to have it built 2 weeks from yesterday.........
Any amount/any size I get will be appreciated. the more I have, the more I'll build for them.
I can bring a chain saw and harvest it.

Thanks,
Ron

Sweetgum

New User
Brad Keisler
yellofins said:
Sweetgum,
I don't mind the drive to Charlotte.
I haven't had any luck finding it up here in Raleigh.
I'm looking for enough to build a tiki hut front as well as some faux furniture (just for looks). I was tasked with this yesterday because the person who was supposed to do it backed out last minute.
I need to have it built 2 weeks from yesterday.........
Any amount/any size I get will be appreciated. the more I have, the more I'll build for them.
I can bring a chain saw and harvest it.

Thanks,
Ron

Ron, I don't believe I'll be able to help given your defined timeframe. The bamboo I have access to is not in Charlotte, it's in Gilbert, SC. I have a family get together this weekend and can't get down there until June 24 at the earliest (and that may not be an option until I clear it with the LOML).

Let me know if your timeframe changes.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
With that said I will check my source. A friend of mine was clearing out about an acres worth and has been giving it away. It will all depend on whether or not he has any left. I will try to let you know tommorrow.

- Brandon

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Thanks Sweetgum,
I'm not happy with my schedule for this and I knew timing would be an issue.
I'm going to try to contact Parks Department to see if they're clearing any out. I may fall back on option 2...painting pvc and cardboard tubes to look like bamboo. I can put my new HVLP sprayer to the test that way.
Ron

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I can get you what you need. I have it dry and a good source for fresh cut. I also may have some bamboo screens that you might be able to borrow. Give me more specifics and I'll see what I can get you.
Dave:)

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Thanks to DaveO I have the bamboo needed for my project and a new respect for those castaways on Gilligan's Island.
Working with bamboo has been a learning experience as well as a little challenge. It's coming along and should be ready for Vacation Church School come Sunday.
Thanks Dave.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ron, you're very welcome, as long as you post some pictures of the completed project :-D

Dave:)

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Here are the pics of the "Tiki Hut" that I needed the bamboo for.
It was located at the entrance of the classroom area of the Vacation Church School. It set the tone for the "Treasure Island" theme as the children entered. Tonight we moved it to the entrance of where the wind down dinner was held.
Thanks again Dave for the Bamboo.

Attachments

• Tiki.jpg
    Tiki.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 177
  • Tiki2.jpg
    Tiki2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 167
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors