RAS value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACobra289

New User
Bill
I have been thinking about getting a radial arm saw. Is the craftsman model 113-29411 worth $60 bucks? I haven't went to look at it yet, but supposedly it works. Anything in particular I should check for when looking it over?

Thanks,
Bill

T

toolferone

Bill, for the most part RAS's are good for general crosscutting only. They are one of the hardest tools to get really tuned up well and they lose that the minute you move the head off of 90 degrees. That being said I do have one and use it for basic rough cross cutting.

quid_non

Wayne
Senior User
Hi Bill!
I'm not familiar with that Craftsman model, but I like radial arm saws (RAS)- esp for people getting into wood working. If you already have a table saw and miter saw, think twice, but they will do most (not all) of a table saw, need less space and are worth the investment. I started with a RAS - had one for 10 years before I decided to get a table saw. I still use mine quite a bit - and have a chop miter saw also. No tool does it all!
Best
Wayne

M

McRabbet

I have a Craftsman RAS gathering dust in the corner of my shop that hasn't been used in years. I replaced it with a good 12" mitersaw and my tablesaw.

Two pieces of advice. NEVER rip lumber on an RAS. NEVER put a moulding head cutter on one either. UNSAFE at any speed.

Before you buy a used Craftsman check to see if it is one of the Sears/Emerson models that was recalled for insufficient blade guard. Using the model number you cited, it is not, but be sure to recheck the model number.

Glennbear

Glenn
I have a Craftsman RAS gathering dust in the corner of my shop that hasn't been used in years. I replaced it with a good 12" mitersaw and my tablesaw.

Two pieces of advice. NEVER rip lumber on an RAS. NEVER put a moulding head cutter on one either. UNSAFE at any speed.

Before you buy a used Craftsman check to see if it is one of the Sears/Emerson models that was recalled for insufficient blade guard. Using the model number you cited, it is not, but be sure to recheck the model number.
If it was recalled, the upgrade kit including new table is free.

ACobra289

New User
Bill
Thanks for the advice guys. I am just starting to get into ww'ing, but I do already have a table and miter saw, so I guess I really don't need the RAS. I was thinking for $60 bucks I could possibly set it up for doing dados. Also, I am pretty limited on space, so I should probably think twice about getting it.

Thanks again.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have a RAS, one of the recalled Craftsman models that couldn't be retrofitted. I gave the owner $100 for it, which was the same amount he could have got for returning the power-head and rendering the machine useless per the recall agreement. I use it primarily for dado cutting and it is my goto machine for that. The set up is very easy. Plowing your dado stack through a fresh section of fence will give you a precise set-up point and not having to pass a long work piece across the table saw or set up router guides, makes it much more easy and safe (IMO). That said even with a neg hook blade plowing a 3/4 dado is an exciting experience on a RAS. If you have the space for the machine, I would say get it. If you don't there are many other ways of doing the same thing that can be easily used for other things and probably take up less space.

Check Rob's link to see if it is a recalled model. If so buy it for $60, send the motor in and get $100 backs. Use the $40 to buy something fun.
Dave:)

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I've got a 20 year old Craftsman 10'er. Its used mostly as a rough cut off saw. They also take up a lot of shop space.

Glennbear

Glenn
I have a RAS, one of the recalled Craftsman models that couldn't be retrofitted. I gave the owner $100 for it, which was the same amount he could have got for returning the power-head and rendering the machine useless per the recall agreement. I use it primarily for dado cutting and it is my goto machine for that. The set up is very easy. Plowing your dado stack through a fresh section of fence will give you a precise set-up point and not having to pass a long work piece across the table saw or set up router guides, makes it much more easy and safe (IMO). That said even with a neg hook blade plowing a 3/4 dado is an exciting experience on a RAS. If you have the space for the machine, I would say get it. If you don't there are many other ways of doing the same thing that can be easily used for other things and probably take up less space.

Check Rob's link to see if it is a recalled model. If so buy it for $60, send the motor in and get $100 backs. Use the $40 to buy something fun.
Dave:)

Thanks for sharing your setup Dave, I have an older RAS and the retro fit kit ready to be installed and it was my intention to dedicate it for dados. I was aware that this could produce some adrenalin but after wrestling with 8' stock on the TS to cut dados for my sheet goods cart I am more committed than ever to this idea. :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS