Raleigh area SHOP Crawl - 12/7/19 Updated 12/4/19

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
So some of you that have hosted and/or participated in one of these "shop crawls" give me some insight into what I do or say after "welcome to my 2 car garage and workshop".
I can't dance nor can I sing so I'm looking for some details as to expectations?

David Turner
North Raleigh

fulldec

Don
Corporate Member
So some of you that have hosted and/or participated in one of these "shop crawls" give me some insight into what I do or say after "welcome to my 2 car garage and workshop".
I can't dance nor can I sing so I'm looking for some details as to expectations?

David Turner
North Raleigh
Some folks gave a this is how I work type intro, especially good for unique shop configuration (well aren’t they all?) like a very upstairs bedroom, a compact basement shop, any problems you had to overcome. It helps to know what kind of things you work on. Jigs you’ve made for your work are interesting. Anything unique is great to go over. It seems if there was a lull, someone had a question, usually a leading one that needs some explanation.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member

David Turner
North Raleigh
The hard part for most of us is cleaning the shop, the easy part is handing out the beers and giving away all those planes gathering dust.;)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Some folks gave a this is how I work type intro, especially good for unique shop configuration (well aren’t they all?) like a very upstairs bedroom, a compact basement shop, any problems you had to overcome. It helps to know what kind of things you work on. Jigs you’ve made for your work are interesting. Anything unique is great to go over. It seems if there was a lull, someone had a question, usually a leading one that needs some explanation.

Can you stand on one foot and wiggle your ears while downing a cold beer? If not then just be yourself. We understand......

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

David Turner
North Raleigh
The audience is pretty easy. Popular topics are:
"Look at my clamp collection, I don't have enough"
"The six different saw blades I have for my table saw and what type of wood I cut with each of them"
"My scrap box, aka How Small Before Scrap Is Too Small To Be Scrap?"
"Screw storage"
"Here are the 16 things I still plan to do to upgrade my shop in the next year"
"Making the shopvac more useful, the evolution of my understanding"
"Router bit organization, why I sort by by bit diameter instead of by profile"

I GUARANTEE that EVERYONE reading this post said to themselves "eh, yeah, I'd like to know more about that" for at LEAST two of these.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I might add to Bas' EXCELLENT list:

"What I think I got right in my shop, and what I would change if I had it to do over again."

"How I deal w/ difficult situations (i.e. ripping long boards in my closet size shop)"

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
My shop is progressing, so I am hopeful to be one of the Shops on the crawl. Dust pipes will probably be last.

As far as host discussions go: What type of woodworking do you do, history of your tools, limitations and design-arounds to fit your space, things you plan on doing in the future, etc.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS