Raised panel doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
LOML finished the upper kitchen cabinet doors. They are beautiful (yes, I am biased but they really are awesome!). Here are some pictures:

Uppercabinets1.jpg

Pantyandsideuppercabinet.jpg

The unfinished wall will have another cabinet and tiled back board between it and the upper cabinet.

Cabinetoverandbesidefridge.jpg

John did a terrific job on these cabinets but probably would never really post them. I wanted ya'll to see them. We will also add a strip across the top to transition to the border.

Last edited:

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Cathy,

They look great!, I'm assuming Hickory? Very nice work, I know how much time and effort goes into that type of project. Did he spray the finish?

cskipper

Cathy
All but the raised panels are Hickory. He didn't want to try to cut those out of Hickory so we found some hard maple that really matched well.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
After my recent experience with Hickory I can appreciate that. He did a great job finding Maple that has "flaws" that mirror the elements in Hickory that make it attractive.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Fabulous looking cabinetry, Cathy.

I too would be interested in knowing how the finish was done. (Do you think that you guys could post some more pictures when the kitchen is all done?) The match of maple to the hickory is incredibly close!

Now. You will have to get some trivets done in hickory to complete the look!:lol: :lol:

Great work!

Wayne

b4man

New User
Barbara
They are absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations! I know you're happy to have your kitchen organized.

HardRock

New User
Gil
very very nice work!

The wife and I have been cruising the borg's lately looking over cabinet doors to get some ideas for our kitchen. We have really taken to the natural looking hickory. As in your cabinets, it's really great looking cabinet wood.

M

McRabbet

Wow! John should be proud and it's neat that you're able to gloat as well. Superb job -- you'll enjoys them for a long time!

Rob

cskipper

Cathy
We (mostly he) used Petri Gel poly. Wiped it on and off, sanded between first and second coats and then applied 2 more coats. He used paste wax in addition to these and it was also very sharp.

We got the maple from HH & NK when they were open. We bought it in several batches and could take our time to find the best pieces. They actually had to get another tree's worth for us so we would be able to finish them.

The hickory was air-dried at a lumber yard on 64 between Rutherfordton and Morganton. It had been air-dried for 10 years. A lot was not any good, but the price was great! It took A LOT of planing - and hickory is VERY hard!

Yes, we will post more pictures when we finish.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Wow, that's beautiful Cathy. I think John deserves a box of cigars :lol:

Stopped by your house this morning to drop off a book and noticed you've been working on porch and roof too :mrgreen: The dogs were very well behaved. :icon_thum

Sapwood

cskipper

Cathy
Sapwood - now I am concerned. We haven't been working on the roof. - and the dogs are rarely very well behaved. Are you sure you were at our house? What made you think we'd been working on the roof? Thanks for stopping by.

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Wow! Now that's a project to be proud of, for sure. It's so much nicer to have something like that than to just buy them off the shelf. Now they have a story!

charlie s

New User
Charles
Cathy: After reaching a milestone tonight (finally constructing my last, and I do mean last hickory door), I must tell you it was a very wise decision to use maple for the panels instead of hickory. Doing the rails and stiles were bad enough, but the panels were what was truly difficult and time consuming. Like your hickory, mine is also air dried and extremely prone to splintering and ripping out when running it through the shaper. When I finish this last cabinet the rest of the lumber is being turned into firewood. I'm very happy with the way the hickory stains and finishes, though.

Now it's time to send off my planer knives, jointer knives, saw blades and shaper bits to be sharpened.

Your cabinets looks very nice indeed.

Last edited:

MarkW

New User
Mark
Very nice ! That was some great matching you did on the panels also. I wish I had the eye you have for that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS