Quick and cheap home made clamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I wonder if they differentiate on performance between the Schedule 40 pipe and the foam core drainage version?

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
thanks for sharing that. I wish I'd thought of those when I was building the cradle for my son. I wound up making a dozen light weight, deep throated planking clamps from Baltic birch ply on Saturday morning. Mine worked perfectly for the cradle and have been useful many other times but I bet a dozen of these PVC rings would have been faster.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I've used the pvc version on boats. we would drill two holes in each to insert dowels.
The dowels gave you leverage and control to open and position the clamp.
Squeeze to open, release to close, like a big clothes pin
Then remove them and use them on the next clamp.

blakeyon2asd

New User
blake
I wonder what people were thinking when they come up with stuff like this. It's pretty awesome but it's kind of like the guy who figured out that you could drink goat milk. lol

Rick M

New User
Rick
An odd simile but I wouldn't be surprised if it were a luthier who came up with the idea, they use lots of spring clamps ... lots.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
I've used the pvc version on boats. we would drill two holes in each to insert dowels.
The dowels gave you leverage and control to open and position the clamp.
Squeeze to open, release to close, like a big clothes pin
Then remove them and use them on the next clamp.

Instead of dowels I have just used two screwdrivers. I'll have to try a couple of hardwood dowels in the future.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Screwdrivers if that's what's handy.
I cut the handles off my used foam brushes and save them for things like this.

yeah, I really am that cheap!
( I prefer to call it resourceful)

Glennbear

Glenn
VERY cool idea(s) I have a temporary truck sized spray booth in my future and was looking for a cheap solution to fastening the plastic sheeting to a PVC frame. I now have my solution !!! :gar-Bi I am glad he stressed using a band saw and NOT a table saw to slot the pipe. I once tried a table saw, no missing fingers but it was not a fun experience :nah:

Glennbear

Glenn
Shop made clamps and clamp systems;

Heres the general direction we're headed at our shop.The "rack" is self explanatory,but take a close look at their clamps.....this is probably what we'll be duplicating.We need to be able to use cordless drill motors for tightening the screws vs turning(and the expense of buying)handles.

http://www.doucetinc.com/woodworking-machinery/products/edge-gluing-and-lamination/nwr-clamp-rack

Do you anticipate using USS or Acme threaded rods ? I can see myself using pneumatic wrenches on USS rods as opposed to drills.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Those PCV pipe clamps are a pretty cool idea thanks for posting it. I have cut U shaped pieces of wood and wedges before but this idea seems like the cats meow.

BWSmith

New User
BW
Glenn,we're pretty well stocked with Jorg 3/4 pipe clamps........the deal is,I just don't want to keep going in that direction.When we do glue-ups,if its a onesy twosy then the above works OK and no real need to change.The problem,and is why we're looking for a different setup is doing "lot's" of a similar item.Say making a dz hall tables(thats what we juts finished).Or anywhere theres a repeating setup.

I've committed our shop(my spare time)to saving time.It's not really a financial/money issue,because we don't have any,haha.But we/I do have time and one heck of a machineshop and fabrication shop.Not really trying to ripoff anyones designs....and certainly won't be selling them.But I scour the industry for ideas that we can implement.Not willing to give up the realestate for a clamp carousel...even though it's an easy build for us.The rack in my link has other benny's.Hoping to get a cabinet door,drying rack out of it as well.I built a nice drying rack a cpl years ago.Welded sc 40 pipe,utilzing "X" bracing,ala safeway scaffold parts(get braces with broken ends.....cut to shorter lengths,Hyd formed new ends)......it worked fine,but it works even better for stock storage,haha.So,am still needing a drying rack....but if it can serve dbl,or triple duty then I'm all in.

I "think" Acme because its a little more robust for its size.Further I "think" it's more forgiving with glue blobs?We are all over the pnuematics here.Used daily for all manner of duty's.....so drill motors vs air is no big deal for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS