Questions on files for sharpening saws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I have several saws that need sharpening and two saws that I want to retooth to a different pattern. I see that Lee/Veritas sells Grobert so I guess they are good.

What brand files(available not old stock) are you using?

Where are you getting them from?
Does Ed L Stock anything?

How many files will be used to retooth and sharpen a 26" saw? Say 5 tpi rip.

Any other info or links people want to pass on will be greatly appreciated.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
You will only need one file per tpi size. The size of the file needs to match that of the tooth pattern thus the need for different sizes for different tpi. The triangular metal files you get at the Home Center are fine for this application. Tools for Working Wood sells a set with handles that are very nice. Not much difference really in metal files these days. No need to over-spend there.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The flat side of the file should be twice the size of the saw tooth, this allows you to use all three sides of the file.

if the width of the file equals the length of the tooth then the file is used up after one side is used because only one face has not been worn and you need two sides to sharpen the front and back of each tooth.

Nicholson makes some files in Mexico and they seem to be much better than the Chinese files. At about $6-$8 each they are not a bad value.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
(How many files will be used to retooth and sharpen a 26" saw? Say 5 tpi rip.)

Mark,
If you are changing from crosscut to rip but keeping the same TPI one 7 inch regular taper or slim taper should do it for 5 TPI. If you mean to change to a different TPI then seek out someone with a Foley tooth cutter and cut new teeth and then sharpen from there.
I have used the Grobets from LV and they are OK. There seems to be great variability in file quality. I had a hardware store file that wore out before I finished a single 8 TPI rip saw (#8 Disston)--the file teeth just became smooth and totally quit cutting!

Get some Sight Black and spray your tooth line before starting to file. It lets you see clearly the shape of your cuts so you keep them consistent. Then when you are done it wipes off with alcohol. You can borrow my can of Sight Black if you don't have any.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Charlie,

I will take you up on the offer of the Sight Black when I get to the saw sharpening. Sounds a whole lot better than a candle. Will be a while to I get to it. Will start looking for Grobert as that seems to be the most recommended brand although I also see Bhaco listed.

I don't know enough to know if the following is true, but I was warned off getting the teeth done on a foley because the process will introduce a bend into the plate from the punching process. I figured I would cut in the spacing slots with a mini hacksaw and use a diamond file to rough in the teeth, then finish with a proper file.

StephenK

New User
Stephen
Dykem red layout fluid. Because it's a saw ;)

Also, I might try sending Mark Harrell at Bad Axe Toolworks an email and ask him for retoothing advice.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I believe that ShopNotes had an article on building a back / dovetail saw, in which they build threaded rod driven device to advance the file for cutting teeth.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Bruce, thanks for the lead. I just scavenged a copy of the jig article plus the errata posting. Would have to modify it to take a full size saw.

Stephen Will look for the Dyekem. I can use it on other projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS