Questions About Paring Knife Handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I have two paring knives (about 26 yrs old) that Carla really likes. One has the handle split, and I figure the other cannot be too far behind.

I have already made a template, and have cut 3 handles of red oak (the only wood that was the correct thickness).

1) Does the collective NCWW have a preferred place I can get rivets for the handle? I've looked online, and see rivets in 1/4" and 5/16" size. I guess thie refers to the size of the rivet head, as the holes in the broken handle are 1/8".

2) The original handles have a kerf cut for the knife tang. It seems this is the easiest way to attach the blade to the handle. Is it worth my while to drill the ends of the handle to the depth of the tang, and rivet the blade in place?

3) Can I get by with a few coats of BLO for the finish? Or do I need a food safe finish, or am I worrying too much about the handle getting wet while is use?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Red oak is one of the worst choices for a knife handle that will get washed often. White oak would be much better. Or any high oil exotic wood would work well.

It sounds like these are Old Hickory knives?

The handle is a solid piece with a slit cut for the blade and a small brass rod is peened on each side of the handle to hold it together.

I have some nice white oak, maybe some other that you might like and the brass rod and all tools to rehandle the knives if you want to come over one day.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Thanks, Mike. If I will plane down some white oak to 1/2" thickness, and count the red oak pieces as practice.

These knives were made in Taiwan. My late mama bought them for me when I bought my first place while living in Knightdale.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Well, if you want to go whole hog and you have good dust control try making the handles out of Cocobolo or Desert Ironwood..
Bob Kramer
For a finish, I have used a mix of BLO, turpentine and beeswax. It is a matte finish and does not seem to get slick when wet. I have some made up if you want to use it. Handrub on three coats for start and polish with 0000 steel wool

If you want to join handles to blade you can look for cutlers rivets that are flush mount and basically nest one inside the other . They drive together and are a tight friction fit.
Knife Making Supplies - Cutler's Rivets
There are also loveless bolts that screw together and then you grind off the slots to make a smooth fitting.
Here is a kitchen knife i did that way.

Vintage Butcher Knives

Cheap easy handle material is a broke tool handle like an Axe or mattock. Rivet it using brass brazing rod or heavy copper wire. I've also seen it done with iron nails and washers.

Depends on your time and what look you want.

Here's a link to an old Mother Earth news article that will give you a good and quick overview.
How To Make Your Own Hunting Knife.. From an Old Saw Blade

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
And I present for your consideration and critique:

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

I chose not to match the curve on the lower edge near the blade; perhaps the narrow width was broken by the tang flexing. :dontknow:

Thanks to Mark for the finish. I used 3 coats. I warmed the finish a bit too much, so the second coat was liquid when applied, and is appears to behave with the thicker "spreadable" first and third coats.

Thanks to Mike for the tip about using brazing rod instead of rivets. In the top pic, I did not drive the rod far enough through the handle so I could cut if flush (on the rear "rivet", live and learn). A stop by the local mom-n-pop hardware found what I needed, plus a bottle of Elmer's Glue-All Max (sort of an epoxy that only needs some water on the pieces to activate. But is is waterproof, says so n the label.)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Good to go for another 50 years or so!!!!!!!:icon_cheers

Nice work Tom and betcha it will be appreciated.

(I know how difficult it is to let some old favorites go! (LOML tossed the only butcher knife left over from my single days about 40 years ago and I wasn't too happy.:gar-Cr)

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS