Question re Planing stop setup

JoeC724

Joe
User
Amateur woodworker here building my first workbench. I’m following the anarchist workbench book/plan given how prescriptive it is (helpful for a first timer).

However, for someone that has been planing board faces only occasionally its not obvious a 2 1/2” x 2 1/2” square hole in the bench for a removable planing stop (1st picture) will be more useful than a simple setup attached at the end of the bench (2nd picture).

Are there non-obvious benefits to being able to pop it in and out that become more useful as your project/skills advance?

All input is appreciated!

P.S. Found this forum last year and it’s just a wonderful resource and community.

Joe

Attachments

• 6A2E7950-4EFA-481A-AB98-82ECE4372AFA.jpeg
    6A2E7950-4EFA-481A-AB98-82ECE4372AFA.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 4AD2B2F2-22B9-4BCB-B068-663BE0D6F86A.jpeg
    4AD2B2F2-22B9-4BCB-B068-663BE0D6F86A.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 93

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
As you research,
You will see a number of different planing stops.
The short answer is, the one that is easy for you to use and that suits your bench (mine is against the wall, so no access to the back side...)
I am sure someone could come up with a list of positives and negatives.
I have found that I use one I can put in the vise (I don't even have a bench dog to hold the thin strip...)

1673801143879.png

Another version is based on the veritas version: Veritas Tools - Workbench Accessories - Planing Stop
Where you use two bench dogs and a thin piece of stock.

Finally there is one that can "hide" at the end of your bench:
1673801376889.png

1673801398101.png

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
The downside of mounting a toothed planing stop at the end of your bench is that you wont be able to adjust it for different boards. The upside is that you have the entire length of your bench for planing.

My stop is morticed into my bench, but when I build my next one, I'll try a stop that's like the one in Hank's pictures

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you're building a new bench consider adding a row of bench dogs. Having more than one stop gives you a lot more flexibility. One of the added benefits is the number of bench fixtures that can make use of these holes. Here are a few to consider. I built my workbench with a wagon vise at the end of a row of bench dog holes. The bench dogs are made of hickory with a simple hickory spring to hold them at whatever height until tension is applied.

IMG_0882.JPG
IMG_2253.JPG

The slots were cut and shaped as the bench top was being glued (left picture). The wagon vise holds the first dog in the sliding section. Stationary dogs are spaced about 4 1/2" apart.

IMG_3710.JPG

The most basic use is to simple hold a board while you work on it -- extra set of hands. The face of each dog is covered in leather for extra grip. I can plane lengthwise or across the work piece without it moving.

IMG_3712.JPG
IMG_3711.JPG

One of the first accessories I made are these "bench puppies". I replace the vise dog and one of the stationary ones to create a clamp that holds a vertical panel. The grip is strong enough to allow me to plan and work across the end of a large panel.

IMG_3713.JPG

Another fixture is this stringing gauge. It inserts into one of the holes, allowing me to pull the string through to size it consistently for inlay.

IMG_3714.JPG
IMG_3715.JPG

Last up is this attachment. It works like an upside down router plane by allowing the entire surface of the bench to become the sole of the plane. I use it to size tenons, where a typical router plane would not have support on both sides of the iron.

Anyway, great to hear you are building a workbench. That's a right of passage for any woodworker. Important thing is to build a bench that works for you. Spend time in the design phase to know what you like and don't like in a bench.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
@creasman, that bench looks awesome. Did this evolve from a simpler Design, or perhaps a second bench after you learned what you really wanted from a first bench? …or did you just think of everything before you built it?

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
I have bench puppies for my Ulmia bench. They have metal bodies with wood faces. I don’t know if they came with the bench or I got them later. They are incredibly useful. I love yours, Jim.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Did this evolve from a simpler Design, or perhaps a second bench after you learned what you really wanted from a first bench? …or did you just think of everything before you built it?
Thanks. I took my time in designing it. This included visiting and trying other work benches. Anyone building a workbench should check out this thread. I posted about my bench there with some pictures and what I consider important in a bench.

Last edited:

OldManK

New User
Kyle
Joe, I have that exact stop morticed in my bench and like it well enough, but don't use it a ton. I'll likely combine it with some jigs/stops that use the stop and vise in conjunction.

JoeC724

Joe
User
Hi Everyone - thank you for your thoughts. While i’m unsure on how much use near-term, many of the varied opinions providied makes it seems pretty plausible i’ll have a use for building this into the benchtop now.

I appreciate it.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Although i don't think i've ever seen anyone mount or use a whipple hook
I used a Whipple hook on my old bench. While it isn't horrible, I wouldn't recommend it as the main stop on a full-sized bench. It great for narrower stock, but planing wider stuff can be cumbersome.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS