Question on dimensions for a bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Does anyone have experience in building a home bar? I have the overall dimensions of the total bar, the cabinets, the bar top and the heights but I'm still unsure on how much overhang there should be between the lower counter area and the bar top. If you look at the simplified picture below, the total bartop with the glass rail is about 24.5". The overhang in the front of the bar (where the chairs are) is about 11". With those two dimensions set, If I build a 4" knee wall to support the bartop, then I end up with almost 10" of overhang on the counter side of the bar (? in the diagram). Is that seem like it is too much? I'm wondering if I should make the knee wall wider (maybe 7.5") and thus reduce the overhang. Anyone have experience with these dimensions? I have searched the web and can find a lot of informtion on bar dimensions but nothing that has a recomendation for the overhang.

Ignore all the . in the diagram - it wouldn't keep the spaces with out a character

. . . . . . bartop
5 . . . . 15 . . .4 1/2
/////------------_____|
. . . . . . .|. . |
. . . . . . .| 4 | ?
. .11".... | . |
. .over ...| . .|___________________________
. .hang . . . . . . . . Lower counter . . . . . . |
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .21" . . . . . . . . . .|

TBradley190

New User
Tim
With 24.5 total width, 4" knee wall will probably not be enough support unless you use some really big brackets or corbels. I would go with 12" overhang on the seat side just to allow for extra knee room for tall folks. 2x6 knee wall, and if you're covering with 3/4" plywood that should give you about 5 1/2" overhang on the counter side. I don't know of rules per se that dictates how much overhang, but with nice corbels, your seat overhang can really be as much as you want or need and still look proportional. Hope this helps,

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors