Question on 9 1/2 block plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I am refurbing a Stanley Block plane. Have a question on the Blade Depth Adjuster Lever that runs the blade in and out.

On mine there are two nibs (teeth) that stick up about 0.035" above the post when in the mid point of the travel.

I was wondering if that is normal or if they are worn. It seems to function OK, but I have never looked at a new one.

IMG_01213.JPG

View image in gallery

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
They seem to have some minor ware but if it's working then let it go and happy shavings
Regards,
Richard

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Mark, are you asking if the nibs are supposed to be there, or if the 0.035" is the right height? Why don't you bring it to lunch w/ you Thursday. Show and tell. :)

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
As long as they engage the grooves in the blade, all is good. All the ones I have had didn't have real prominent projections on the advance lever. So again, as long as the projections engage the blade and allow you to advance the blade, use it. I think you might be able to find a new one but it would be a pita to replace and there is a chance you could crack the casting when replacing the pin.

Mike

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Bill, I can do that. It's all apart so I just need to find a baggie. I'll also bring along a hand saw I got today. Bought it because it had a nib and the price was right. Needs some major clean up, but maybe someone will recognize it.

Mshel: You are right. It took me a while to get that pin out. I started hammering, but realized that was probably going to end in a broken part. Ended up pushing it out using a combination of a nut,some blue tack, a cut down finishing nail and a visegrip to make a hand held arbor press. I figured if it was worn down I could refurb the lever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS