Question: IRS Auction Pickup Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianGeib

New User
Brian
I won a Lot in the IRS auction in Arrington, VA. There are two items in the pickup details that are concerning me.

First is the Certificate of Insurance. They mention this is applicable for "non-hand" loads. What does that mean? Also, is this COI absolutely necessary? Has anyone picked up a load from them, and what was your experience?

Second is the use of the term "rigger", and a separate fee for them. I thought the $25 Removal Fee that I paid IRS was for them to forklift the Lot on my trailer. Again, what has been your experience?

I don't want to drive all the way up there to find out I can't take the wood. Any feedback would be appreciated.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Brian, each pickup works a little differently, but here is how it normally works.

IRS closely manages who is authorized to enter the auction premises and load out. They do this for theft and liability reasons. They usually pre-qualify some local riggers in advance (companies that have cranes, forklifts, and machinery moving equipment and expertise), and it is up to the individual bidder to negotiate prices, etc for loading out whatever they purchase. This is more applicable towards machinery and equipment purchases, as opposed to just lumber.

If you want to bring your own personnel and equipment into the plant to load out, they will require a certificate of insurance from you naming IRS and the plant owner as a loss payee, in case you damage anything while operating equipment inside. Usually they will take care of disconnecting the electrical supply, but not always.

Sometimes they request a certificate of insurance for your truck and trailer if it is picking up in their yard.

In the intance of the GBO auction, Century Forrest products is using their own forklifts to load the lumber, and the "loading fee" covered that. No negotiation with riggers is necessary in Greensboro.

I'm not sure about Arrington. A call to the removal contact should be able to answer that question. One word of caution - at the Greensboro auction they will not load out pickups or trailers with fenders. They are insisting upon flat deck trailers that they can quickly forklift on and off of. You will need to bring some cribbing too (4" x 4" x 7' beams) to place on the trailer deck underneath the bundled lumber, so that they can fork it on.

Regards,

Scott

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
A COI is usually generated by your insurance carrier or a 3rd party associated with the carrier (Accord, etc.) and forwarded via fax and/or mail to the requesting party. It will be a statement of policies in effect by you regarding one or more of the following items:
1. General and/or Commercial Liability Insurance - in case you or your employees cause damage to their equipment, property, etc.
2. Workmen's Compensation Insurance - to cover any employee you may bring to work there in case they are injured.
3. General Auto Insurance - in case the brakes fail on your truck & you run into something - or somebody.

It will show the policy numbers, issue & expiration dates, and limits of liability for each type.
Our company almost has to have a full time person checking this on all our subcontractors to make sure it's up to date. It's a hassle, but without it the IRS may be liable for damages. We wouldn't want Uncle Sam to spend any money onthis, now.:rolleyes:
Face it - it's their show, they make the rules.

BrianGeib

New User
Brian
I just spoke with the removal contact. He is the owner of the company who's property is being auctioned off. He said that if they load it on to your trailer you need a true flatbed (no fenders of sides), but he said they will put it on the ground and I can load it on whatever I want by hand. He also said that I do not need a COI; just make an appointment and show up with something to take it away on. Big load off my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors