[QUESTION] Glass for custom shadow box?

wwian

New User
Ian Worthington
Hey Folks!

I'm building my first shadow box and my wife wants me to use glass instead of plexi.

Does anyone in the Raleigh-area know where I can get a piece of glass cut or know where I can get a small piece of glass that I might try to cut to size?

Thanks!

Ian

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Lowe's / Home Depot can cut small pieces of glass to size.
Any glass company / window repair shop usually can cut to size, I'd just go to closest one near you in Raleigh. Depends on where in Raleigh you are, but I've dealt with one off Jones Sausage and one off Lake Wheeler in the past (sorry, can't remember their names right now)

wwian

New User
Ian Worthington
Lowe's / Home Depot can cut small pieces of glass to size.
Any glass company / window repair shop usually can cut to size, I'd just go to closest one near you in Raleigh. Depends on where in Raleigh you are, but I've dealt with one off Jones Sausage and one off Lake Wheeler in the past (sorry, can't remember their names right now)
Thanks!

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Binswanger glass. Also, a general web search brought up a lot of glass companies. So this would depend on where in the Raleigh area you live. My adventures lately have taught me how large an area it is. Good luck

LastChanceWoodshop

New User
Jason
Hey Folks!

I'm building my first shadow box and my wife wants me to use glass instead of plexi.

Does anyone in the Raleigh-area know where I can get a piece of glass cut or know where I can get a small piece of glass that I might try to cut to size?

Thanks!

Ian

Ian,

When I've done glass for flag boxes I fit a piece of heavy cardboard/cardstock as a template for the glass shop. Results were good.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
FWIW, cutting glass is not difficult and a glass cutter isn't expensive. At some point you may want to learn to do it and make your own glass for shadow boxes and other items you build.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just an FYI.... You really do not want plain old window glass for this application. You want what they call non reflective or non-glare glass. Many of the places listed should carry it but expect to pay a bit more.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've used Benswanger for a flag case - took the case to them and they cut the glass to match while I waited.

wwian

New User
Ian Worthington
FWIW, cutting glass is not difficult and a glass cutter isn't expensive. At some point you may want to learn to do it and make your own glass for shadow boxes and other items you build.
Thanks. Yes, I've looked into that. This is my 1) first miter frame I've cut, 2) first shadow box I've built, 3) first glass-cutting-insert I've done. :) So far, so good... I built a miter jig for the table saw (also the first) and the corners are tight and razor-sharp.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS