Question for the Pro's and those like me

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLW

New User
Harold
Hey guys. I've had intentions of buying a right angle drill for sanding bowls. Can't decide between corded,pneumatic or battery. I can see where the corded and the hose on the pneumatic could be in the way at times. I did purchase a right angle Hitachi 12V Li-Ion the other day (last one) on sale. Now I'm wondering if that was a good choice for the job? What do you think? Think I should stay with the Hitachi? :BangHead:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I am partial to pneumatic. I turned wrenches for a living for years and the pneumatic just made more sense to me. Most of my sanding tools in the woodshop are pneumatic. But I have a large compressor.

Last edited:

Rob

New User
Rob
Unless you have a large air compressor, I wouldn't go pneumatic. You'll be listening to the compressor all day. I went with a cheap HF unit, $30 corded. A year ago, still running, haven't looked back.

Umich684

New User
Jake
+1 on the pneumatic, thou agree that a big compressor is a necessity.
Also, if it's a shop based tool (not mobile unit) why go with battery? A corded unit will typically have more power, be lighter, and cheaper!:icon_cheers

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Unless you have a large air compressor, I wouldn't go pneumatic. You'll be listening to the compressor all day. I went with a cheap HF unit, $30 corded. A year ago, still running, haven't looked back.

I agree with Rob on this one, get the HF with extended warranty for a few bucks more and it'll do everything that you need done.:icon_thum I've done just that, and it's the only HF power tool that I use.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
With a good compressor I'd go pneumatic as well.
For my shop I choose corded. I LOVE my cordless tools - but for the money, time (charging switching batteries waiting on a charge...), weight, and power - I use the corded tools for such tasks.

Rob

New User
Rob
For the amount of sanding I do on bowls and such, I would not go cordless, you'll be replacing your batteries yearly. And the price of batteries are almost as much as the cost of the drill. Since it's at my lathe, I see no reason for cordless. I've never found the cord to be hinderance.

HLW

New User
Harold
Thanks everyone for the feed back. I bought the Hitachi mainly for the size and the weight which was only 2.2 lbs. with battery and of course it was on sale too. If I go the pneumatic route I would probably have to buy a new compressor because mine is only 2 hp/6gal.Guess I'll get me a corded one? Heck! I might keep the Hatachi too.:eusa_thin:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS