Question for the pen turners on wood choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I am looking at making a few pens for the ladies in the extended family for Christmas
These

PKGAFREE.jpg

It is the Gatsby pen from PSI - I can get three kits for 20.95 plus the accessories will be free and I was wondering what woods would you use for a more feminine looking pen - Only thing I have on hand is BW - Mahogany - Cherry and Maple

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Bethlehem Olive Wood no question.

Ladies love it, and the Gents too. It is oily (Olive Oil of course) and finishes easily. Turning it makes me hungry tho, smells like an Italian restaurant!
Oh, each blank comes with a little Certificate of Authenticity which is a nice touch with the pen presentation.

Oh, also look at Pink Ivory. My lady likes it almost as much as BOW. Woodturningz has nice PI and also have the BOW.

Last edited:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Bethlehem Olive Wood no question.

Ladies love it, and the Gents too. It is oily (Olive Oil of course) and finishes easily. Turning it makes me hungry tho, smells like an Italian restaurant!
Oh, each blank comes with a little Certificate of Authenticity which is a nice touch with the pen presentation.

Ken, how are the blanks from this site - the last one (stopper blank) that I order from PSI split on me and they would not make it good and I told them that I would never order it from them again - I have ordered other products from them with no problems

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Any of the "Heartwoods" look nice and turn fantastic.

ie Yellowheart, Purpleheart and Redheart (my favorite:icon_thum:icon_thum)

I also used tulipwood on several pens that I gave to my nieces.

HTH

Wayne

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Ken, how are the blanks from this site - the last one (stopper blank) that I order from PSI split on me and they would not make it good and I told them that I would never order it from them again - I have ordered other products from them with no problems
Since it's very oily it will heat up easier than other woods. Drilling the pen blanks has to be slow to prevent over heating and possible splitting. I haven't done a stopper with BOW but it could be heat was some of the problem, maybe your blank had a hidden defect?

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
my guess as well - one of them split after I turned it and the other split before I even got it bored - what upset me about it is that they would not make it good -
I've had some experiences with PSI and MLCS. (same folks)
I haven't given them any direct business in several years. But it's hard to get slimline kits from anyone who isn't a PSI reseller.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've had good success with good ol' Southern Yellow Pine heartwood aka 'fat lighter knots'. It usually turns to a golden hue & without a finish it gives off that turpentiney smell.

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
You can't go wrong with any the ones listed above. My experience is that wood that has some figure and color variation gets the most attention. You can also glue up several pieces of wood and make a multi color pen.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
Phillip another thing you could do as well as this is probably one of my wifes favorite pen's is a Popsicle stick pen. I took a bag of dyed popsicle sticks from Hobby Lobby or Michaels and stacked them and clamped them and then poured on the Thin CA, the sticks are very pourus so they suck up the CA so it bonds everything and stabilizes the wood at the same time. She wants me to make another I just need to find all the sticks again or go buy another bad I think it was only 3 or 4 bucks for the bag and you can get several pens out of it.

IMG_0801.jpg

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Phillip another thing you could do as well as this is probably one of my wifes favorite pen's is a Popsicle stick pen. I took a bag of dyed popsicle sticks from Hobby Lobby or Michaels and stacked them and clamped them and then poured on the Thin CA, the sticks are very pourus so they suck up the CA so it bonds everything and stabilizes the wood at the same time. She wants me to make another I just need to find all the sticks again or go buy another bad I think it was only 3 or 4 bucks for the bag and you can get several pens out of it.

IMG_0801.jpg

That is cool Kevin - I will check this our for sure:icon_thum

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Very successful with dyed stabilized box elder burl blank

I made three of the gentlemen junior pens out the magenta blank at this site:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...bilized_Dyed_Box_Elder_Burl___dyed_elder?Args=

They were beautiful brilliant pink pens and got rave reviews from the gals (wife, daughter and family friend) that received them, and I mean lots of thankful hugs and kisses. :icon_cheers For an old curmudgeon like me, I need all of the affection I can get. :rolleyes: The blanks are very nice and turn well. I did blow one out when I was drilling a little fast.

Those pens are still in use and I see them everytime these gals are writing something. They like showing off to their friends.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS