Question: Cleaning Bessy K-Body Parallel Clamps

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Over the years with many, many messy glue-ups, a lot of my K-Body Clamps could use a good cleaning. Is there a reasonably efficient way to go about this task? All of the glue is of the TItebond variety.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think in most cases scraping the glue off is about efficient as it gets. I'd recommend being more careful on the plastic parts.

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
I have used a wire wheel on the drill press but be advised that a wire wheel is real tough on your knuckles if not careful.

Reactions: drw

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Over the years with many, many messy glue-ups, a lot of my K-Body Clamps could use a good cleaning. Is there a reasonably efficient way to go about this task? All of the glue is of the TItebond variety.
There is no easy way. Best is to wrap the bars in some rags soaked in a warm vinegar solution and let that sit for a bit. Then use scrapers, wire wheels, hand grenades etc. to get the glue off. A heat gun can also help, but watch the plastic parts.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

My friend has several of those type clamps and he just puts the bar in an old rain gutter, fills it with water and comes back next day and wipes it down. I might add he does not use T2 or T3 for obvious reasons.

Maybe?

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I use an old, cheap, somewhat dull wood chisel. Once cleaned, I apply Johnsons Paste wax so next time the glue pops off quickly. While on the subject, I also keep a roll of waxed paper handy and place a piece over the bar at the glue lines when gluing up panels. Also, I do most of my glue ups on a large glass table top my wife found at a second hand store and I smear wax on that too.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I have used a heat gun, and even a propane torch, with a stiff wire brush. Titebond does soften under heat which can cause other problems.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Thank you for your responses, I am appreciative. I'll start cleaning soon!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS