Question About Bark

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mac

I received an unusual request from a friend, and am looking for help on the matter. He wants some wood products made of domestic hardwood (Hickory, Cherry, Holly, etc...) but with the bark still attached. These items will be small 1/4" - 1/2" high by 3" - 4" diameter. Does anyone have any idea how to "stabilize" and/or secure the bark so it won't flake off?

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
hi mac, woodturners often use the thin superglues to secure bark on natural edge pieces. i use hotstuff glues from woodcraft, along with the accelerator (who's got 2-3 seconds to wait for it to cure?). if you could post pictures or drawings, there may be more ideas, is it a large area of bark you have to secure, or just small pieces? on turnings it is generally along the rim, easy to get to. good luck.

phillip

M

Mac

Thanks Phillip. I was thinking of CA glue. These items will ahev the entire rim with bark. Very easy to get to. Due to time, I will be using pentacryl for stabilization. There won't be turning involved. This is a simpel project. Cut, stabilize, sand, finish. Shoudl I glue the bark before or after pentacryl?

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
i've only used pentacryl a bit, if you could do a sample that would be great. my preference would be to superglue afterwards, less chance of staining the woods, more of a problem the lighter the wood is. also you could wax the piece, superglue, then wash off the wax with alcohol. let us know how it goes.

phillip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS