Quarantine Rocker Finished!

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Here's my second Maloof based rocker. Seat and headboard are black walnut, legs and slats RO, slats and runners are WO. All it needs now is sanding, sanding, sanding and more sanding then some finish.
RO Walnut rocker.jpg

Last edited:

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
That is spectacular!!. I sorta know what it takes to make a Maloof rocker at home because I watched a classmate try and fail at making one for a woodworking school assignment. Out of curiosity are your seat-to-legs joints, the famous Maloof joint actually reinforced with a screw (hidden by the contrasting wood plug) or do the joints hold together on their own?

JohnW

New User
John
Good Grief Steve, that is gorgeous. Can't wait to see the three species after the finish goes on. Should be spectacular.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
That is spectacular!!. I sorta know what it takes to make a Maloof rocker at home because I watched a classmate try and fail at making one for a woodworking school assignment. Out of curiosity are your seat-to-legs joints, the famous Maloof joint actually reinforced with a screw (hidden by the contrasting wood plug) or do the joints hold together on their own?
Joints are tight enough to hold chair together w/o screws or glue. I used System 2 epoxy and a 3.5" screws during final assembly. One screw at each seat/leg joint and two at each headboard ends. The epoxy is slow cure and more forgiving than Titebond in the event of an "issue" during glue up.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Good Grief Steve, that is gorgeous. Can't wait to see the three species after the finish goes on. Should be spectacular.
I can hardly wait to see the transition btwn the RO legs and BW headboard. I tried to make them blend well using lighter BW at the ends so as not to make a hard contrast with the RO.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Steve, beautiful work; it looks like you carved it from a single chunk of wood...awesome!

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Maybe Coleman will give you a volume discount for all the sandpaper you are going to need. LOL. Very nice work and I will look forward to seeing it all finished up.

Roy G

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Great job. Now we need a picture of a contented woodworker sitting in the rocker with beverage in hand contemplating the sunset.

Roy G

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS