Quandary - Opinions needed (gloat or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arguseyed

New User
Jeremy Taylor
Long story, bare with me. Built a big (10' long) plank top bench a few years ago from a plan I saw in ShopNotes. Now that the wood disease has got me bad, I realized I needed a more functional bench and more room for tools. I kind of thought my neighbor and good friend had his eye on it for a while so I asked him if he could take it off my hands. Needless to say, he said yes. He asked me a dozen times how much he owed me for it or what new tool did I need and I kept telling him that taking it off my hands was payment enough. Well, the day after we move it over to his garage, he comes back from Lowe's with this sander as a way of paying me for it and told me if I didn't like it, we could take it back and pick out something else of equal value. We've been "discussing" it for two weeks now and I just can't get him to take it back.

My only issue is I'm not sure how much I'll use it. It's a little early in my new hobby for something this nice (don't even have a ROS yet). I'm sure I'll find uses for it on down the road.

So, do I graciously accept it or would it be rude to go with him to take it back and agree on something else.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jeremy

Attachments

• Hitachi.jpg
    Hitachi.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 156

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's a very handy tool to have. Once I got one I was able to quit clamping my belt sander to my bench. The belt and disk are great for free hand shaping of pieces, or sanding to the line on curves. The disk is good for sneaking up on miters and fits with narrow stock.

I would say that you have a bonified gloat (not knowing what the bench that you traded for it looks like). I would keep it, I can't think of something that you could trade it in for that would be more useful (unless you don't have a router, or ROS...oops, you don't, you would get more use out of one of those first :eusa_doh:)

Dave:)

4yanks

New User
Willie
I'd keep it. It will be handy, plus it will give you the opportunity to show your friend how much you appreciate the gesture. By the way I'm jealous, I'm still rigging my PC belt sander to the bench as DaveO mentioned.

Rocker

New User
John
It is difficult to graciously accept another guy's generosity, just as it is difficult for most of us to accept compliments, but that's what this case calls for IMO. It may bond you closer as friends in the future. BTW nice tool.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Definately a keeper. Just get yourself the other tools Dave mentioned. And always remember.. A tool in the hand is better than a tool at the store.

Arguseyed

New User
Jeremy Taylor
Well, looks like it's a keeper. Now I just have to find a place to put it!

Oh, and I've got a router (Dewalt 618 3-base). It's quickly becoming one of my favorite tools.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Jeremy

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Perhaps you could tell him that you would be glad for it to live in your shop as long as he realized that he had lifetime user rights to the tool if he should ever have any need for it.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The sander and your neighbor are both keepers. Not many feel any need to compensate for free items. When you said free, it implied free. But be sure to thank him and offer to let him have use of the sander as need arises. Congrats again. Sorry you missed TWA last nite as there were a couple of "cool" table saw jigs: cross cut sled, box joint jig, miter jig (two different designs), coving jig, recappable push stick, and kerfing jig for zero clearance inserts. Remind wife that you love her more than woodworking, so you took her to dinner, instead of going to TWA. (This may change, at least in her eyes.) Be careful-WGD is spreading!

Allan Campbell

New User
Allan
Jeremy, that is a good tool to have in the shop. It is good for final shaping of parts small enough for you to move easily by hand and can be very accurate. If you ever want to make shaker boxes, (lots of fun, good gifts, and they look a lot harder to make than they are) it is indispensable.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
You asked how to be gracious - the answer is never look a gift horse in the mouth. You did a nice thing for him and he wanted to return the favor. Every culture on the planet understands and knows the meaning of reciprocation. It is always in poor taste and bad manners not to do so, or to be a clod in refusing it. If you really feel encumbered by this simple act simply accept it, make something nice with it and give your creation and handiwork back to him. Done - simple as that.

Geez - I would love to have a problem like this ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors