QSRO Side Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
My youngest daughter was flipping through the pages of a Pottery Barn catalogue and spotted this table. Very plain and she asked if I could build her one on a little smaller scale.

img35m1.jpg

I ended up building it out of a combination of flat sawn and quarter sawn red oak from Scott Smith.

Overall dimensions are 16” x 20” top, 6” aprons, 1 ¾” square legs and ended up about 25” tall.

All of the leg to apron joinery was done with 3/8 x 1 ½ dowels.

100_2978.jpg

For the web frame supporting the drawer runners and the kicker, I used biscuits to support it in the rear apron.

100_2981.jpg

Here is a picture showing the dry fit of the carcass.

100_3011.jpg

Once the glue up was dry, I added spacers between the inside of the aprons to help guide the drawer past the leg/apron inside offset and blocking at the rear to act as a drawer stop.

100_3063.jpg

100_3065.jpg

Fitting the drawer box….

100_3067.jpg

Today I managed to add a third coat of satin wiping varnish over two coats of Golden Pecan Minwax stain.

100_3099.jpg

100_30921.jpg

100_3098.jpg

100_3099.jpg

At this point, I believe I will give it about two more coats of poly for protection.

(Thanks to Joe Scharle once more for helping me with the geometry to set that lower shelf tightly between the four legs!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum)

I seem to be slowly whittling away at the list of tables that these girls seem to “need” every few months!

Thanks for looking!

Wayne

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Great job. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

I really like the way you arranged the grain on the front and sides, matching the legs to the front.

(psst: Joe's not listening so tell me the secret on the bottom shelf geometry):wsmile:

Go

PS: Oh yeah, I forgot to say I'm beginning to have "clamp envy" on those strap clamps.!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Wayne, great looking table...beautifully done! How did you cut your dovetails, by hand or with a jig?

Cheers,
Donn

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great job. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

I really like the way you arranged the grain on the front and sides, matching the legs to the front.

(psst: Joe's not listening so tell me the secret on the bottom shelf geometry):wsmile:

Go

PS: Oh yeah, I forgot to say I'm beginning to have "clamp envy" on those strap clamps.!

Thanks Mark!

Well. Joe's secret makes so much sense when I saw him demo it.

We squared up the legs and aprons at the top (dry fit) and he used the top of the legs to reference the inside dimension taking into account the 3/8" offset between the aprons and the legs. Just scribed the offset onto the shelf and notched the corners at 90 degrees on the bandsaw. When we test fitted the shelf at the bottom of the legs, everything stayed just as square as without the shelf. ,,,,,,not sure this made any sense, but I can now visualize how its done for future floating shelf projects. (Oh ya. I did cheat. I just used small metal angle brackets screwed to the shelf bottom inside the legs.:embaresse)

Love those Merle band clamps from MLCS. They were great!!!!

Wayne, great looking table...beautifully done! How did you cut your dovetails, by hand or with a jig?

Cheers,
Donn

Thanks Donn!

The HB dovetails were cut using the new 12" Leigh Super jig.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great looking table Wayne. Another heirloom completed.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Pretty sharp Wayne! Nice craftsmanship and eye for details; you even matched the grain direction on the knob to the drawer front!

jhreed

New User
james
Wayne, you and Joe seem to be having way too much fun with your tools and cameras. Thanks for sharing your tool & camera skill with us.

James

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
Looks great Wayne. I especially like the staining technique that shows off the dovetails.

How did you attach the top to allow for expansion/contraction with moisture?

Brian

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Wow, that turned out great! The finish really brings out the gran and I can see the planning so that the rays from the drawer front are aligned with the frame. :icon_thum

Had me confused at the start tho, I thought the first pic was a completed photo and was wondering how you got golden pecan so dark, :rotflm:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

How did you attach the top to allow for expansion/contraction with moisture?

Brian

Hi there Brian and thanks for your kind words.

I have been using what I call "figure 8" tabletop fasteners like these....

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001036/2236/Fasteners-Desk-Top.aspx

I drill a pocket in the top of the aprons, screw one end of the fastener to the apron top and the another screw into the bottom of the table top. I do not over tighten the apron screws in order to allow the top to move on its on own. Has worked well for me in the past.:icon_thum

Thanks again!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS