QS leg question

Status
Not open for further replies.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
I want to make a Arts and Crafts end table with quartersawn legs. I would like the legs to have quartersawn figure on all four sides. The method I want to use is gluing up two or three QS oak boards with QS figure on their width and then gluing thin (1/4") QS oak over the visible edges on both sides. My question is would two or three boards be better for the glueup from a stability perspective or does it even matter? I am shooting for a final leg of 2" x 2".

Amy

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
this is where a lock miter really shines unless you plan to taper or turn them.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Amy,

It won't matter whether you use 2 or 3 boards. You could go to 1/8"caps over glue joints for an even less noticable result. Greg Poalini uses the technique that you are considering... you might want to email him for possible tips.

Bob G

smitty62

New User
Dick
Amy, your plan is fine and has been used for well over 100 years--two boards will suffice unless you need more thickness. Solid wood is much more trouble with warping and splitting. Hey,fellows--she's building an end table-not a battleship!:wsmile:
Dick

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
You can use two or three layers... It doesn't really matter. I use enough layers to get to the thickness I'm looking for. In the case of a Morris CHair I use 3 layers for the core because 3 layers of 3/4" stock brings me to the 2 1/4" thickness I'm looking for, but for Occasional Tables and such, I'm looking at 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 total thikness, so I'll only use 2 layers.

For face veneers, I apply 1/4" thick veneers, and then after they're cured, I plane the blanks down evenly so the veneers end up being about 1/8" thick. Then I'll round over the edges with a 1/8 round over bit, and the glue lines disappear.

Hope this helps!

-Gregory

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I now have exactly what I need to know. This group rocks!

Amy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors