Putting up Wainscotting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishbucket

New User
Joe
Would you use MDF for the panels or stick with solid wood?

They had glued and nailed trim to the walls making some kind of picture moulding detail.. :rolleyes: Yuck. Not to mention getting it off the wall...

I'll be going with a 2 panel 60" full rail/stile and cap
will I be doing our house a disservice by even thinking of MDF, or even plywood for that matter?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 153

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Joe, if you are going to paint it then it really doesn't matter what it is composed of. Is this similar to what you are going for?

iStock_000009898348XSmall.jpg

Skymaster

New User
Jack
IF you stay with paint then mdf is actually better. The mdf is going to be a bugger to get smooth, there is a primer/paint/sealer just for mdf, PRIME,SAND,PRIME SAND PRIME SAND until sealed glass smooth, then finish paint. DUST HORRIBLE when cutting so cut outside if possible, you stay upwind, :D you can make your rails and stiles out of mdf also, when attaching mdf will mushroom where you nail or screw it, need good sanding to get flat. that said if you wanted you can rabbit the back of stiles and rails and use 1/4 mdf panels, 3/4 for stile and rails. Avoid box stores their mdf is junk. A secret for you call suppliers like Stock etc and ask for ULTRA LIGHT. 1/4 doesnt matter but 3/4 OH YES 3/4 regular 90+lbs per sheet. ULTRA 45

http://www.wurthwoodgroup.com/Medium-Density-Fiberboard-MDF-Ultra-Light-P77563.aspx

http://www.hooddistribution.com/composite-panels/

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Avoid box stores their mdf is junk. A secret for you call suppliers like Stock etc and ask for ULTRA LIGHT.

I think you just answered a long time question for me. While I've seen the rave reviews of MDF and have seen some quality projects made with it, there was no way in my mind that the box store stuff was the product being used. We did a workshop at PhilS's place. He provide some MDF. I've been meaning to ask him where he got it. If he got it from a box store, I'm back to being confused.

Lowlander

New User
Chris
And if you are purchasing hardboard or peg board, get it from a pro supplier. Its like maple to pine in terms of hardness. The garbage at the big box stores never withstood much abuse.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
MDF should be fine, but I'm curious how you intend to tie it into your existing baseboards and door/window caseings? It appears youve done alot of work to the drywall removing what was probably picture frame type wainscote?.

gritz

New User
Robert
You need to think about integration with existing trim at stair, door casing and base. What you are describing would stand proud.

Fishbucket

New User
Joe
You need to think about integration with existing trim at stair, door casing and base.

MDF should be fine, but I'm curious how you intend to tie it into your existing baseboards and door/window caseings?

Ill be removing the 1980's casing and going with a smaller/ modified version of what is around the original living room windows. It projects 1 3/8" . I'll bring it out to 1" since it will be a smaller version
We're trying to get the house out of the 60's - 70's remodel and back to a classic 1846 Creole cottage with a bit more elegance... If that makes sense.
I'll be pulling the top cap off the base and starting the stiles from there. It's 3/4" plus who knows how much paint thick.

Hope the pics give you an idea of what's there and how it's going to end.

image_9.jpeg

image_10.jpeg

It appears youve done alot of work to the drywall removing what was probably picture frame type wainscote?.

yes , it was . The joker thought glue and nails was a good idea... Too much Pinterest was going on up in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS