Purchased a Laguna 14/12

Echd

C
User
My wallet hurts, but I think I'll get over it (eventually).

I have wanted a nicer 110 14 inch bandsaw for a while and there were a handful of competitors. It seems like most well known makers make good ones in the price range I was looking at, and opinions are split on lines like user friendliness of adjustments and overall build quality. The Laguna and Rikon were a tight race, but ultimately the Laguna just seems to have much stronger advocates for it- about the closest level of devotion I see are Sawstop advocates- although few people are unhappy with their Rikon 10-325s and 326s. I found too many complaints about the similar Jet models such as poor build quality, and the 17 inch grizzly would need a 220v outlet that I'm too lazy to run- or to swap it to 110v and use a 30a breaker, which is currently occupied by my dust collector (I really do need to run some extra outlets in my garage). Price wise it beat most of the other options once shipping and taxes (or lack thereof) were considered as well.

I've never owned a bandsaw before and only barely used one, so what should I be looking to add, modify, or know about? Most of what I do will be curved cuts, cleaning up rough wood, and relatively little re-sawing. I'm interested in getting into turning down the road so cutting green logs isn't out of the question, but it isn't a current priority.

I'll see how long the factory blade lasts me before I feel the need to diversify- but how many blades should I expect to want to keep handy? A low TPI resaw blade, a higher TPI thinner blade for tight work, anything else?

Are there any other accessories you deem necessary? I purchased the mobility base (it hurts to pay $175 for some casters and a few pieces of sheet metal, but it wasn't much more than a standalone base...). I did not purchase the factory light because paying $115 for a work light sounds stupid.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Nice machine. I too spent a lot of time comparing Rikon to Laguna, but as I had 220, I bought the Harvey C-14. Bigger 3 HP. Dismissed Jet, Grizzly and PM. Only complaints I ever heard on the Laguna was the guides slipping. Only some do so don't know what is up. Ceramics are said to be better for resaw and smoother cuts than bearings. I think there is a lot to be learned about guide clearance.

I used a Bora base, Cheaper. Magnetic light. Also cheap. Added a small extension to the rear of the table and have been tweaking the dust collection.

Blades do the cutting, so don't skimp on quality. Search the forum and you will find a lot of views. Always keep a new one on hand. One small mistake hitting a tooth on the guide and curves are what you will get, want them or not. I use Sawblades.com. Don't know how they compare but seem fine to me. I keep a 3/8 on most of the time. Picked up a decent miter gauge on Amazon so I don't have to walk around the shop to get the TS one. Critical accessories: push sticks, blocks, etc.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
You will find that the blade that comes with the saw is usually crap. Expect to diversify sooner rather than later :)

Echd

C
User
Apparently it doesnt come with one at all- so I ordered a 3/4 3 tpi woodslicer for resaw and a 6 tpi 3/8 for most other use. I will probably use the general use blade 90% of the time, but there have been so many times a resaw blade would have made life a little easier, or saved me some money on wood stock.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I thought Laguna did not come with a band. Which 3/8 did you order? I am not really that happy with the finish I am getting. Set the guides closer, slight up of the tension and a smidge better, but I have seen cuts from other saws that are smoother. Actually, have seen resaw cuts smoother.

Echd

C
User
I purchased the skip tooth from Highland Woodworking when I got the Woodslicer. It wasn't expensive so I guess we'll see. I haven't received an ETA on delivery of the saw yet- I see Rockler says backordered to october, but others say in stock even though they're all drop shipped. I bought it from US Tools Depot. I guess it will get here when it gets here, I haven't seen a suitable good condition bandsaw that fits my needs on craigslist in my parts in months and I've been looking hard.

Lhloy

New User
Larry
I have a Laguna 14/12 (it's 1.75 HP) and it is the only stationary power tool I ever bought new. Couldn't find a used one. The 'modern' welded steel design seems to make a more rigid structure than the old school (forgive me, all you old-iron people) classic cast frame designs. It is great and I really like it but I have not yet taxed it's max capacity performance by resawing wide hardwoods. Eventually I will.
I like the ceramic blade guides and I have found a neat trick to simplify guide-to-blade adjustment. Each guide assembly (upper and lower) has a fat horizontal mounting post that goes into the machine's fixed mounting block and is secured by a single locking levered fastener. The trick is to remove each guide assembly from the machine, and then before installing the blade of choice, hang the blade up on a nail and 'fit' the guide assembly to the blade, outside of the machine. This involves adjusting the backstop ceramic so the set in the teeth just barely clear the side guides, centering the blade via the 2 independent side guides, and confirming the blade-to-sideguide(s) clearance (this is important). When all done (only takes a couple of minutes), put the guides back into the bandsaw and push them all the way back out of the way. Then lace up the new blade and activate the tension lever, and tweak the blade tracking adjustment knob as needed. Finally, slide each guide assembly into place to caress the blade for a perfect alignment, and lock down. No knuckle-skinning and iterative adjustments necessary. This is one of those things that takes longer to describe than to do.
(I copied and pasted this from a previous post of mine, thinking you may like my guide adjustment trick).
Larry

Echd

C
User
I received my shipment scheduling notification from the freight company today and it should be here tomorrow. Pretty good turnaround for a backordered item.

I ordered from US Tool Depot who is just a drop shipper, but the price was right and they look like they got it to me quickly, so good for them.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS