pull-ur-own-parts auto junkyards ( update )

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
do these still exist ? i need a tail light socket for my Highlander ( dropped it down into the frame :eek: ) but it is sold only as part of the assembly and not seperately. At least not that I can find . It is a small plastic piece that should not be expensive if I can find a junkyard somewhere ....heck , i won't even need to get dirty taking it out :gar-Bi
every place I have tried just pulls parts but won't pull this one :mad:
any input welcome

TIA :D

Last edited:

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
Re: pull-ur-own-parts auto junkyards

Try LKQpickyourpart.com. I've used the one in Charlotte. Walk in with your tool box, strip what you need, walk out and pay. I usually use the website to see if my model car is on site.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark

Might I suggest looking on ebay for part such as this. easy and they mail it to you.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy

there is a site car-part.com that queries all salvage yards. You may have luck there. We use them daily at work. Hope that helps.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam

i've picked up stuff from LKQ. You have to pay a couple of bucks to get in, if i recall, but they had a lot of cars and were somewhat organized (crazy huh!). Not sure if there's one close to you though. There are plenty other junkyards out there. Some of the big ones won't let you pull parts, but plenty of the smaller ones do in my experience. I'd figure a tail light socket would be common enough for your vehicle

jerrye

New User
Jerry

There used to be an LKQ off of hwy 70 headed toward Clayton from 40. The old 70, not the new bypass.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member

I've used pull-a-part.com with success. Many salvage yards are getting organized in this way of necessity. Online inventory searches by model & location are very efficient, though the part may have already been taken. Nevertheless, the organization and efficiency of these systems keeps them viable. They will keep a car for a few months & when it's been picked over enough it goes to the crusher/shredder.

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu

There's one in Johnston Co., along the old 70.
The yard is as big as several football field, but don't remember the name anymore. :(

Rick M

New User
Rick

The one on 70 can't decide if they are open to the public or not. They've been flip flopping back and forth for years

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member

Nine's, just up the road from you (towards Creedmoor) used to let you pull your own. They haven't had the right vehicle for me the last couple of times I've been there.

Glennbear

Glenn

Way back in ancient times I was an assistant manager for an auto parts store chain in the northeast. There were a few suppliers who catered to the shade tree mechanic customer who were dealing with "oops moments" e.g. -( dropped it down into the frame :eek: ) Perhaps a trip to your local large parts house might be fruitful. Many was the time I had a smiling customer remark "I did not know this was sold here". The vendors who specialized in such things back then were Perfect Parts Co. and Dorman Co. I have seen displays from similar vendors in my local Car Quest. :wsmile: I am sure you are not the first owner to have dropped a socket and it is highly unlikely that such a part is unique to the Highlander now that subcontractors supply multiple car manufacturers with such doodads.

sawduster

New User
Robert

thanks everyone for the input :icon_thum. I actually found one today . I was lucky enough to ( finally ) get someone at the dealership whose IQ was larger than their shoe size :eek: Part is not available through parts houses but is available through the dealership if you know how to look it up :gar-Bi

....I'm gonna get 2 :gar-La;

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS