PSI Mini Lathe Chisel set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Dog

New User
Mad Dog
Well, for the price I wasn't expecting much and I wasn't disappointed.
Label.jpg

LatheChisels.jpg

In case you can't see, each chisel is skewed (ha!) to a greater or lesser extent. I mean, that top gouge is off so much it is almost laughable.

Not sure what to do - Amazon is very good about accepting returns but I'm thinking about trying to fix them. By all accounts they are somewhat fragile so putting them in a vice and banging on them is out of the question, right? Will HSS bend enough before snapping? Another thought is remoing the ferrule and trying to pull the blade out, then re-drilling the hole and epoxing the blade back in.

Whaddya think?

Deeptree

New User
William
Looking at the assembly quality, I would just send them back. If they aren't put together that well, I am doubting that the HSS quality is very good either, which will mean it won't take and edge or hold it for very long. I would also assume that you will spend more time and effort getting these things straightened and sharpened, than just spending the extra money on higher quality chisels.

I came to a conclusion many years ago, that most stuff that has a "made in china" stamp on the outside, represents bad quality inside. Most of the tools that I purchase today, I make sure are forged in the USA, Germany, or UK. HOWEVER, even with that said, one should be cautious about some of these because of instances like "Marples" which made amazing steel, but when bought by Irwin, immediately commoditized them and jacked up the quality of the steel, ruining the Marples name for life.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
That's a shame, I have the same set and other than needing to have the edges touched up, they were great out of the box. I know you got them from Amazon, but call Penn State Industries. They have great customer service and I'd bet they'll stand by them. Jim

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
IF the steel is worth a hoot just make new handles. If not send em back. I prefer to make my own tool handles. they fit better in my hands and I can make em as long as I want.

Mad Dog

New User
Mad Dog
Many thanks for the comments.

William,
I hear you on the quality aspect - but apart from a shaving brush I'm not sure if I'll be making anything else from this mini set.

Jim,
OK, I've boxed them up to send back to Amazon with a note saying I'll accept a replacement if someone at Amazon actually opens up a box and checks them out. Kinda silly of me expecting them to do that but...

Fred,
Making your own tool handles - yeah, that did cross my mind but can you imagine the wife catching me with my Christmas presents in the fireplace - "Don't worry honey, I'm just burning the handles off."

Cheers!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Many thanks for the comments.

William,
I hear you on the quality aspect - but apart from a shaving brush I'm not sure if I'll be making anything else from this mini set.

Jim,
OK, I've boxed them up to send back to Amazon with a note saying I'll accept a replacement if someone at Amazon actually opens up a box and checks them out. Kinda silly of me expecting them to do that but...

Fred,
Making your own tool handles - yeah, that did cross my mind but can you imagine the wife catching me with my Christmas presents in the fireplace - "Don't worry honey, I'm just burning the handles off."

Cheers!

LOL... the handles will come off quite easily [without fire] but then ya still gotta git rid of em. if the quality is that poor you are prolly making the right decision to send em back. I have a set of crown mini's that perform well. I don't use em much but they are nice when I need em.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
BTW I'm only 2 miles out of youngville if you want to come give em a try. PM if interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS