Prototype Designer Looking for Feedback

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
While the invention is neat its no domino. As a domino 700 owner, I will say the first big problem I see is repeatability. That is stringing them along the edge of a door stile for instance. The domino has an overwidth setting for this. It allows the cutter to make a larger than domino hole giving it compliance. Second is dust control. It has none (yes I know this is a prototype but as an engineer, I dont see a good way to accomplish that. I do see it being used to do line boring however.

Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
You may also consider the cost to the purchaser to replace the two left hand spur point bits when they get dull. Not a common BORG item......

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Other issues
This appears require a really wide piece because the gears take up a lot of space. The Domino can be used on a very narrow piece.

I do a fair number of dowel fits and unfortunately the dowels are typically not a uniform size. I typically have to sand a dowel smaller for dry fitting so it does not get stuck and require redrilling. Upon final glue up i drive the dowel through a dowel former to get a snug fit. Dominos are perfect. I can dry fit them, remove them and use the same one for glue up

At a cost of $400 and you provide the drill, the overall cost is $500 -$700 all in compared to a Domino at $1100. Not that significant for what you get

I would buy an upgrade for my Domino that uses imperial units, not metric and a gear driven adjustment versus the plastic slide bar or a randim guess for the domino. Digital precision with readout would be phenomenal. I could see wixey depth and angle technology built in for a precision domino upgrade

LB75

George
Something that caught my eye when he was demonstrating it, it doesn't appear to be all that easy to hold still and the way it was kind of wiggling around you're going to end up with oblong holes.

Regarding the cost, it would seem the Triton Doweling Joiner would be a much more accurate and cost effective solution.

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
Something that caught my eye when he was demonstrating it, it doesn't appear to be all that easy to hold still and the way it was kind of wiggling around you're going to end up with oblong holes.

Regarding the cost, it would seem the Triton Doweling Joiner would be a much more accurate and cost effective solution.

I believe that part of his motivation for this build was his frustration with trying to get accuracy out of a Triton.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS