Propane Torch Keeps Going Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I was playing around with an epoxy project and one technique that I was trying for the 1st time is using a propane torch to pop any air bubbles. To torch something on a flat surface, I have to aim the flame downward, this seems to be causing the issue. For some reason the torch keeps "flaring up" and then going out. I thought it might be defective and bought another one (different brand) and I am experiencing the same issue. It makes me think that the issue is me, but I am still confused.

I worked in a restaurant all through high school and made hundreds and hundreds (maybe over a thousand) of creme brulees which used a torch to carmelize some sugar before serving. Never once did I experience this issue. Not a single time. The torch is inverted so the flame can point down in this operation as well.

Anyone have any advice?

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
The flare up and flame going out happens when the liquid propane in the cylinder covers the hole in the top of the cylinder; it will flame out as it is no longer allowing gas to pass through. A torch with a greater length and bend in the neck would help. Hope this helps Jeremy.

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
Home Depot and Lowes sell a flexible hose that attaches to the propane bottle. Makes the whole thing easier to use.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
You both nailed the issue and solution on the head. I love it when I click on a thread and see someone’s problem answered so quickly!

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Be careful using the torch on the epoxy. A heat gun or good hair dryer won't cause the epoxy to burn as easily.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I was playing with some tinted pigments which create some pretty cool effects as you stir them in. The hair dryer moved so much air (that would slosh the epoxy around) that it would make it very hard to control what things looked like.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I ordered a new torch and this one has no issue with pointing the flame straight down. Additionally, I was at a friends house helping him cap off a few water lines earlier today and he had a propane torch in his garage. I walk over, pick it up, light it and point the flame straight down sweeping it back and forth. No issues at all there either. This is consistent with my experience at the restaurant as well.

The larger torch is the new one, which has no issues with the flame pointing straight down. It is worth noting that for both, having the flame straight up and down, does not put the propane tank at the same angle. There is an offset due to the bend in the torch.

I can't say that I completely understand what is going on here, but I'm happy to have a torch that isn't so fussy.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20181021_152246.jpg
    20181021_152246.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 921
  • 20181021_153732.jpg
    20181021_153732.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 1,280

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Could it be that the brand of propane is different? Perhaps the one that doesn't flame out has a dip tube back to the center of the cylinder.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Same propane tank used for the ones shown in the picture. One has the issue and one does not.

Gotcha so how about a picture of the old torch head on that same propane tank for comparison? I have an old Bernzomatic torch kit from the mid 1970s that has the angled neck similar to your new torch head. I tested mine today just out of curiosity.

1. No issue with the tank held about level.

2. Tank completely upside down, no issue.

Last edited:

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Gotcha so how about a picture of the old torch head on that same propane tank for comparison? I have an old Bernzomatic torch kit from the mid 1970s that has the angled neck similar to your new torch head. I tested mine today just out of curiosity.

1. No issue with the tank held about level.

2. Tank completely upside down, no issue.

Look at the pictures above. You see 2 heads and a single tank. That tank can be used on both. New head is good. Old head has the issues described above.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Look at the pictures above. You see 2 heads and a single tank. That tank can be used on both. New head is good. Old head has the issues described above.

Your old head is the short squatty one I guess. My old one looks a lot like your new one in size and shape.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan

FYI, the TS8000 includes an internal regulator that essentially gives liquid propane a chance to expand into vapor before it reaches the flame adjustment valve making it much more resistant to passing liquid propane when inverted. Many of the more basic models do not have an intermediate regulator between the tank and adjustment valve, so when the tank is sufficiently angled or inverted you reach a point where liquid propane is actually passing through the adjustment valve rather than the vapor the torch was designed for. Liquid propane expands tremendously at atmospheric pressure, about 270-fold, so you end up over feeding the flame and it becomes too rich (or oxygen starved, take your pick) to sustain combustion and extinguishes at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS