Project truck floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stroupe

New User
Larry
I removed the rear seat from my 2003 Chevy Silverado extended cab. I am currently in the process of building a raised floor, so I will have a flat surface the width of the truck. I plan on building storage boxes that pull out from underneath the floor. I used 1/2" treated decking for the floor surface. The treated wood has that greenish look to it. Can I sand this down and stain the wood or would I be better off covering it with indoor/outdoor carpet? Any comments or help on this project would be appreciated.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Larry,
iwouldn't sand it due to some nasty chemicals that it has in it. You can cover it or you may want to use an outdoor stain over the wood.

Good Luck.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Why use PT anyways? I would think you could get away using plain old lumber. Then you could finish it in whatever method you like.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I'm with Phillip. Some nice oak would look nice in there, and since it's out of the weather------?

M2CW
:wsmile:

Stroupe

New User
Larry
Just trying to keep the cost down by using what woods i have laying around. I was thinking i might do a oak vainer over it. Do you think it would handle the abuse of sliding things in and out (toolbox,grocery's etc.)?

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
White oak is a lot tougher than any construction grade lumber you're going to get from the big box stores.

But I understand using what you have on hand!

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I agree with the use of hardwood instead of pt. But, if you have the pt laying around, I see no harm in using it. I think that the veneer will hold up to what you describe, but I'm not sure it will stay attached to the pt well. Use what you've got, and finish it how you feel comfortable. Just don't sand out the pt:nah:.

Good luck.

Stroupe

New User
Larry
Mabe liquid nail and screw it down with some brass screws or nails. Is their any way to do the vinear so it would still look like planks instead of one solid slab.

M

McRabbet

Larry,

I suspect you'll find that oak veneer won't hold up to the abuse of tool boxes or heavier items. You might check either of the big box stores for a broken carton of hardwood flooring and use that or go back to your piece of indoor/outdoor carpet and staple it in place. JMTCW

Stroupe

New User
Larry
Thanks Rob
I for got about doing some laminated flooring in the house a year or two back and may have enough left over to do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors