Project Started

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I am going to try to post some photos of a new project I started this weekend using a scrap piece of walnut I had laying around the shop. The project is a box for the LOML to put her night stand stuff (pocket stuff) in when she changes clothes after a long day of nursing in a busy OBGYN office. I do not have enough walnut for the bottom and top so I thought I would either use red oak or maple or maybe even ash. I have plenty of all three. The joinery was accomplished with the Router Joint System I purchased at the Charlotte woodworking show. This is my first attempt with this type of joinery. I will post more photos as the project progresses. I have to cut the bottom and lid then I will sand and finish all pieces. Thanks for looking and offering some constructive criticism, I can take it so don't worry about criticizing this project. That is after all how we learn. Last photo is not very clear with the camera I was using.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Looks like a good start. I like the joinery. I too purchased that system at the show, but have yet to use it ... how did your first attempt go?

TracyP

Tracy
Looks like a good start. I like the joinery. I too purchased that system at the show, but have yet to use it ... how did your first attempt go?
Well I ruined one template, the spade shaped template, I had to purchase the adapter plate for my router table as it would not accept the bushing, I did not have it secured, clamped tight enough and the spiral bit cut into the standard bushing and then into the template. Guess I will see how well their lifetime warranty is honored. After the initial goof up the system worked well for me. The joints fit together amazingly tight however my wood was not perfectly square and I have a lot of hand planing/sanding to do but I am determined to make this a nice looking project.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Tracy, that is really cool. Your corner joinery is excellent, especially for your first time. That is an interesting system, do you have any more info on it? I have a Leigh jig that I love but I was too cheap to get it's big brother that can use the different joint templates like you've used.
Dave:)

TracyP

Tracy
Tracy, that is really cool. Your corner joinery is excellent, especially for your first time. That is an interesting system, do you have any more info on it? I have a Leigh jig that I love but I was too cheap to get it's big brother that can use the different joint templates like you've used.

Dave, here is the link to the jig. I purchased a complete system that comes with some extra templates, teddy bear heads etc. I am determined to master this jig, and if you damage a template they replace it free of charge which makes it pretty much idiot proof, which I really need.
:BangHead::BangHead:http://www.woodline.com/p-1825-route-r-joint-precision-dovetail-joinery-system.aspx

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Tracy, thanks for the link. That does look like a good system. I like how it works with the router table.
Plus this has sold me -
"Amateurs, children and professional woodworkers will enjoy the ease of use, safety and simplicity of the Route-R-Joint Dovetail System."

My 4 year-old can do my jointery for me :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Tracy, thanks for the link. That does look like a good system. I like how it works with the router table.
Plus this has sold me -
"Amateurs, children and professional woodworkers will enjoy the ease of use, safety and simplicity of the Route-R-Joint Dovetail System."

My 4 year-old can do my jointery for me :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ya but it dont say anything about elves being able to use it:rotflm:

TracyP

Tracy
Two blind men out of the crowd at the Charlotte show were picked on to make joints, I figured if a non seeing person could do it, I could learn it also.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Two blind men out of the crowd at the Charlotte show were picked on to make joints, I figured if a non seeing person could do it, I could learn it also.

Now that sounds like my kind of motivation to buy a product :lol::lol::lol:.

jimmy:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Wow, tight joints Tracey :icon_thum
I saw a little of the demo at Charlotte Show and wondered it it would do all "as advertised". Thanks for the review, I really like variety of templates.

Heck, I might even be able to make a box joint with the right :tool:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS