Project: Sailboat Dock Step

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Lahey

New User
Mr. Lahey
This is probably my first real project, and a gift for someone. It's a step that will be tied to a dock, it is to help board a sailboat.

I started this project by learning to use Google Sketchup. It took about 4 days to get the hang of sketchup, but was well worth it.

stepsketchup.jpg

After designing it I started to build it. It was constructed with 2x10s and 3 inch drywall screws. I constructed it as 2 separate components.

DSC01015.jpg

After building the 2 components I gave each 4 coats of spar urethane, and then assembled the 2 components. Then I added abrasive non slip strips to the steps.

DSC01017.jpg

DSC01018.jpg

I'm quite happy with the results. It isn't perfect-the components at the bottom are not perfectly flush, so it has a slight wobble. The way it will be tied to the dock it wont really matter and should still be stable. But I would like to remedy that type of mistake on future projects.

Comments or suggestions are welcome!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
:thumbs_up:thumbs_up
As for Sketchup, you just found yourself getting a 'collateral education'. You only wanted to build a dock step, but you picked up a skill that can now be called upon for other projects. After a few years, Sketchup for a projects such as this will be useless, but for more complex projects it will be quite necessary.
Great looking step. Simple, functional, and sturdy with minimal effort required.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
The steps came out quite nice. Congrats. I think that gifts like this (the ones that you make for a friend or family member) are the ones that are the most appreciated.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Great progress . . . both the woodworking and Sketchup :icon_thum
Next project could be an assembly table . . . you may not finish between meals on the next one :mrgreen:

Roger

T

toolferone

Looks good. As far as the wobble, you could take a jigsaw and cut a small arc on each side and front on the bottom creating 4 feet. This should help reduce the wobble.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nice work. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap The only thing I would've done differently is used deck screws, since it will be outdoors. :icon_thum

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Once pressed into service it should last a good long while!:eusa_danc

Those anti-slip strips is a thoughtful and wise idea for this application.

I am sure that it will be appreciated.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS