project complete: cherry walnut and cherry end table

Status
Not open for further replies.

jahrules

New User
Greg
well, I've managed to complete another project. This one I am entirely thrilled with.

First things first. The story.

a couple weeks ago I helped a good friend move out of college into a place of his own. During this process it became painfully obvious how little furniture he had. (most of it belonged to his roommates). So, I told my friend I would create him something. I went to the interwebs for inspiration and came across this: http://www.unityvillestudios.com/imgWoodTile/2006-rounded-end-table.jpg

I thought, wow. That was great! (aside from that strange thing in the center who's function I could not determine... built in ashtray?).

Anyway, so what follows is my humble take on this piece of inspiration.

Instead of the weird ashtray thing in the middle I placed a plywood substrate (fit into grooves on the inside pieces) and made some veneer out of some slightly curly cherry (my first veneer attempt). Also, after going back and forth on whether or not to try to imitate the offset legs in my inspirational piece, I decided to square the frame to the sides and go with a more traditional tapered look. Anyway, enough about that... Pictures follow, feel free to ask questions should you have any. Thanks for looking.

As usual, I have a number of 'in progress' pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/dasnipa/Cherry_walnut_and_curly_end_table#

IMG_1363.jpg

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
That's a beautiful piece. I like yours much better than your inspirational piece. :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

jahrules

New User
Greg
Is it just the center square that is veneer? All the rest looks like solid wood to me, the grain and seams properly carry over the edges.

exactly. just the center is veneer.

here's a picture of it with just the substrate before I veneered it.

IMG_1315.JPG

Randall Kepley

New User
Randall
Very fine work of art my friend! My first thought when I saw the original is , where the 4 pieces that form the top are divided, the dark piece of wood that seperated each segment not only divideds the 4 pieces it also sticks out below the table. WTCrap?? Thats not attractive actually look kinda stupid. And dont get me started on the ashtray/vase/cat bowl/car key holder/..... give it a name. No my friend your interpretation of this is much cleaner and much more thought out IMO. The only thing I would change is on the top part of the legs, where you have the relief cuts, since the legs are so dark and the top is light , I would install some cherry "Halo's" (filling in the relief cuts w/ cherry and letting is sit proud of the legs by about 1/8 - 1/4"). Fine work. R.K.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That's creative and innovative. What a nice thing to do for your friend. :icon_cheers

A major improvement over cinder blocks and 2 x 8s from the BORG!

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Very nice interpretation and I agree, I like yours better than the original. Well done:icon_thum

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Very nice. That one's going in my "maybe someday" file!

C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors