project almost finished thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the two part wood bleach. I could not have done this without your help.

This is a recreation of a Thomas Day washstand. Like the original it is made of poplar and walnut. I have never mixed two woods before. I was really worried that I couldn't get the two woods to match. I also was worried that I couldn't get the sap wood and the walnut to match the walnut heart wood. there were also some black stains in the walnut top.

To get everything going in the right direction I bleached the walnut. I then stained everything in multiple layers until the poplar and the walnut were all the same base color. This was followed up with a shellac, both blond and tinted garnet. I learned a good lesson. Don't get greedy. I tried using a fat taklon brush and boy did I make a streaky mess. I switch ed back to my 1" flat taklon brush and life went awesome.

I finished everything up with a padded on a couple of coats of waterlox and then a buffed coat of wax.

Boy am I glad that this thing is almost done. Now I just have to screw down the top and the back splash. I think that I have made every mistake possible with this silly thing.

Jerome

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Beautiful job. I wonder why Mr Day mixed the wood to begin with when walnut was so readily available?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Excellent results!!!:eusa_clap

In spite of the trials and tribulations you described, you ended up with a very rewarding project piece.

Very, very nice. (Wish I knew the name of your finishing school!:wsmile: I could learn a bunch, I would bet.:icon_thum)

Wayne

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
Pocketbook plain and simple. if the client wanted to pay for the whole enchelada they got it. if they didn't he gave them what they wanted to pay for. The man had a thing for poplar. When given the chance he used it. It is kinda odd he only really uses pine as a substrate for veneer and for drawers and such. stuff that wears.

Beautiful job. I wonder why Mr Day mixed the wood to begin with when walnut was so readily available?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
You may have gone through a lot of twist and turns to get where you are, but the end result certainly looks worth it. And knowing you, I'm sure this is a completely faithful reproduction of the Thomas Day original: no shortcuts. :swoon:

Bill

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Looks awesome,kinda wondered about the use of different woods but you answered it with how much a customer wants to pay for.
Tony

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Very nice work. Who was Thomas Day?

I missed the earlier thread about 2 part wood bleach and its potential use for this project. Kinda evened out the contrasting tones of the walnut vs. poplar? :dontknow:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Scott,

Thomas Day was a craftsman an furniture make in the 1800's. A lot of his remaining pieces are now in private collection or museums.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=128849634 __________________

Thanks for the historical input, the NPR audio is informative. :icon_thum Milton, NC is not too far from Rougemont and I've been to the tavern/workshop that he owned pre-Civil War. Never realized the woodworking connection, but that was before I began woodworking.

Thanks again.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
Thomas Day was a craftsman an furniture make in the 1800's. A lot of his remaining pieces are now in private collection or museums.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128849634

thanks for the great reply Scott.

Now that I have finished the thing I have to get some distace away from it. I can only see the mistakes and the time sink holes that occurred in building it. Perhaps then I will be able to set a price for it and decide on where to sell it. I made it as a learning experience and now that I have learned from it I am ready to send it on its way.

Jerome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS