Progress report on burial urn project, January 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Been awhile since posting about the project. It is starting to pick up steam, as the NC American Legion has passed on the information I sent them. I have been receiving inquiries from a few veterans across the state. This will increase as veterans learn of the project. I also have gotten requests for urns to be used in private cemeteries. I inform them that this is outside of our guidelines. I received a call from a veteran in Greenville. I told him we could make an urn for him, but would charge for it, because it's outside of our guidelines. He is 80 years old, and has limited funds. If anyone in the Greenville area, would like to make an urn for him, pm me and I'll give you his phone number.
I have asked for help in running this project before. Now I need to ask for someone to take it over, in view of my deteriorating physical plant. My wife, and several other friends, and Dr.s, are telling me to slow down on my activities. My body says the same thing. I will help as much as I can, but my leadership abilities are suffering greatly, I need to be a follower.
Thanks everyone.
Bruce

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Bruce; There should be an abundance of flatpacks and or finished urns from our last run that we certainly can send one out.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Bruce; There should be an abundance of flatpacks and or finished urns from our last run that we certainly can send one out.

Yes, there should be. Is anyone in the Greenville area willing to make one, and get it to this veteran, either for free, or for a price? I told him 75, because of the expense of delivering it. He is still alive, just preparing himself for that eventuallity.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can assemble one and deliver it to the man without charge. But I will challenge other members to make a total donation of $75 to NCWW - can a couple of couple of members to pony up $5 or $10 each?

Bruce, I will need the two medallions - the one for NCWW and one for his branch of service.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Express Mailing of one urn would cost about $11. Just throwing that out as a suggestion. They have an Express Mail box that's just slightly larger than the urns. The boxes are free and the delivery is supposed to be 2 days. That sounds way cheaper than gasoline wear and tear on the car and the time it would require to deliver it, even at the low price of gasoline these days.

Charley

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I can assemble one and deliver it to the man without charge. But I will challenge other members to make a total donation of $75 to NCWW - can a couple of couple of members to pony up $5 or $10 each?

Bruce, I will need the two medallions - the one for NCWW and one for his branch of service.

I'll call the gentleman back tomorrow, and get the branch of service, and address. Thank you Raymond.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Does anyone have any high quality pictures for the Urn Project? They are needed to make a good brochure. My wife offered to do the Urn brochure quite some time ago. I generally forget about it, but I remember every once in a while. It is always the same, we sit down, look at what we currently have and she tells me that she needs better pictures. We only have one or two and they are a bit blurry.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Does anyone have any high quality pictures for the Urn Project? They are needed to make a good brochure. My wife offered to do the Urn brochure quite some time ago. I generally forget about it, but I remember every once in a while. It is always the same, we sit down, look at what we currently have and she tells me that she needs better pictures. We only have one or two and they are a bit blurry.

Will these work?
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
That is a great start. Thanks! The more we have to choose from the better. If anyone else has any, please pass them along.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member

Raymond, the gentleman's name that requested an urn, is Frank James, of Greenville, NC. He is 80 y.o. and a Navy veteran. I'll send you a pm with address etc. I can send whatever emblems you need, just pm me your address.
He was very happy to hear we will be sending him one. Another veteran requested one, which I will take care of, as he belongs to the same Legion Post as me. Thanks Raymond. You're always there to lend a hand.
Bruce

JGregJ

Greg
User
Raymond thanks for stepping up and getting this built for the vet who didn't exactly qualify for the free urn.
I've accepted your challenge and just donated $10 to the site via paypal to help cover the cost.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Do the parameters of the program need to be changed? Any veteran with limited funds should be considered. There are enough of us here who may be able to help financially from time to time to make it happen.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
My thoughts on this subject line are that if the veteran has limited funds we should step up - they made the sacrifice and the governmental agency charged with the responsibility of providing for their last act in is no longer in a position to provide that service; then we,who are fully capable, should give so they can begin their final journey with dignity.

The current veteran was originally told it would cost him $75; I don't know if he has since been informed otherwise - I will still deliver for free. The materials to make these urns were donated; the labor to craft them, lovingly donated and the time to assemble and deliver is donated. It is my belief that these urns be provide as we originally proposed - freely. A last "THANK YOU" from grateful people.

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
My thoughts on this subject line are that if the veteran has limited funds we should step up - they made the sacrifice and the governmental agency charged with the responsibility of providing for their last act in is no longer in a position to provide that service; then we,who are fully capable, should give so they can begin their final journey with dignity.

The current veteran was originally told it would cost him $75; I don't know if he has since been informed otherwise - I will still deliver for free. The materials to make these urns were donated; the labor to craft them, lovingly donated and the time to assemble and deliver is donated. It is my belief that these urns be provide as we originally proposed - freely. A last "THANK YOU" from grateful people.

Who was told there would be a cost and why would there be a cost? Just curious where this $75 came from? Guys, I am with Raymond on this one. We can pull together the "stuff" to make this work. FREE is the key to this! The Vets deserve it!

Coleman

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Been awhile since posting about the project. It is starting to pick up steam, as the NC American Legion has passed on the information I sent them. I have been receiving inquiries from a few veterans across the state. This will increase as veterans learn of the project. I also have gotten requests for urns to be used in private cemeteries. I inform them that this is outside of our guidelines. I received a call from a veteran in Greenville. I told him we could make an urn for him, but would charge for it, because it's outside of our guidelines. He is 80 years old, and has limited funds. If anyone in the Greenville area, would like to make an urn for him, pm me and I'll give you his phone number.
I have asked for help in running this project before. Now I need to ask for someone to take it over, in view of my deteriorating physical plant. My wife, and several other friends, and Dr.s, are telling me to slow down on my activities. My body says the same thing. I will help as much as I can, but my leadership abilities are suffering greatly, I need to be a follower.
Thanks everyone.
Bruce

Bruce, after my last posting on this thread, I went back and read over your original post.

I volunteer to take over this project. When we meet for the WNC luncheon in FEB, please bring all of your notes and contacts and I will go forward with this program.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Raymond my thoughts are the same. Since I am closer to Greenville, I think, when get his info I was just going to deliver it and say nothing. Now you bring to light what is in my mind we iz kewl

i asked bruce but waiting on a reply IF anybody has this vets info please get it to me.

mayszs

New User
Zack
I just saw this.
I live about and hour and a half from Greenville and have no issues delivering it and would be able to arrange to do so with one or two retired Navy Chiefs as well.
If there is still funding needed PM me and I'll cover it.
If there are future requests for former Sailors which need funding send me the details and I'll get the network of Chiefs working on it.

rayovac

New User
Trent
Just found this site while reading the Klingspor "Sawdust" mailer. I would like to help if my work is up to standard.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Delivered an urn to a member of our Legion Post 48, Hickory, on Tuesday, and will be delivering another to a member of our DAV Chapter 34, Hickory, next week. If you're trying to keep track of activity Raymond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS