Progress on rocking chair

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Outstanding Mike. Did you make two separate rockers or laminate one and slice it in half? I've always sliced to make sure the bend is the same.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Masterful work Mike, it looks totally original and showroom new! I understand your pain as I had a colon resection about 5 years ago--lost 12" of colon due to diverticulitis. Had to have that taken care of and healed so I could begin radiation for stage 4 prostate cancer. It's been 5 years since then, and 14 years since kidney cancer and I am cancer free, praise the Lord! May you never have another polyp in your colon again.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mike,
I can't thank you enough for your hard work on this project. The pictures look great. That really is masterful work. I cannot wait to see it in person.

Kind Regards,
Dan
Thank you!
That is high praise coming from a graduate of the North Bennet Street School.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Are you repairing an old rocking chair with a broken rocker or building an entirely new chair?

Sorry, there's no introduction or explanation about this thread. Did I miss it somewhere?
Here is the back story Jeff. Sorry I took so long to answer your question adequately.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Dan picked up the rocker yesterday and seems to be very happy with it.

So happy he gave me a bonus above the price we agreed on.

Some of you may remember the marking gauge workshop we did at Bill’s shop several years ago. The original gauge I used for inspiration was a Hamilton marking gauge. At that time they were sold by Blue Spruce tools.

My version did not include the sliding dovetail ways. But instead uses a simpler grove.

41CBAE95-59AD-483F-AA89-372EBFCBE428.jpeg

This is the one I made those years ago and I have been very happy with it. But Dan owns it now and I’m working on a new one from the leftover kits I still have. I just had to. I mean they need to match and that dark Sapale wood just doesn’t go with tiger maple. I should be finished in a day or two then I have to make a place in my tool cabinet for it and my new Hamilton panel gauge.

Firewire2012

New User
Dan
Nice work Mike! That is a nice looking pair. The chair is wonderful and my wife is extremely happy. Thank you for the wonderful gift. I am looking forward to putting the marking gauge to good use.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS