Problem with unisaw on start-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I have noticed recently that there is an intermittent problem with my saw after depressing the start buttom. At times it won't start running and I have to continue pushing the start button until it comes on. This morning I haven't been able to get it to run at all. I have checked the switch and the low voltage box to see if there is debris in them (both are clean as can be). In fact, the switch is only about 1 yerar old. Does anyone have any ideas

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Is the contactor pulling in? Is there a reset button that has tripped? Check the voltage going to the push button it should go in the stop button and make a complete cicuit.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Mark, take the cover off your starter. You'll see a center portion that can be pressed in. Press it in and see if your motor starts (This is manually pulling in the coil). If it does, then it is just a starter problem, probably a bad coil. If it doesn't start and you have voltage going out to the motor when pressed, then you have a motor problem. Probably a starting capacitor gone bad or centrifugial switch.

Good Luck,

John

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I had the same problem on my unisaw that is about the same age as yours. The fix was simple - the stop button intermittetly gets stuck and the saw won't come on. So, before I hit the start button I make sure to pull out the stop button. By now it is routine and I don't even think about it. It is not a big deal but a bit disappointing for a new saw.

Another problem I have is putting Frued blades on the arbor. They are really tight and a pain to put on/off. Dado sets are particularly difficult. The chippers take a long time to get on/off. Since I got this saw some things I would do with a dado set I do on the router table. Woodworker II blades are no problem. Have you noticed this?

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
I had the same problem on my unisaw that is about the same age as yours. The fix was simple - the stop button intermittetly gets stuck and the saw won't come on. So, before I hit the start button I make sure to pull out the stop button. By now it is routine and I don't even think about it. It is not a big deal but a bit disappointing for a new saw.

Another problem I have is putting Frued blades on the arbor. They are really tight and a pain to put on/off. Dado sets are particularly difficult. The chippers take a long time to get on/off. Since I got this saw some things I would do with a dado set I do on the router table. Woodworker II blades are no problem. Have you noticed this?

My uni is about 3 years old. I don't have any problems with the "stop" contacts sticking open but I'll admit that new Freud blades are a tight fit. My WWII fits perfectly. I have noticed that after I have removed/installed a Freud blade several times (changing from rip to crosscut or dado) it goes on easier.

I don't have a Freud dado set so can't comment. The cheap stack set I bought at the BORG fits absolutely perfect! :lol: :lol: :lol: Seriously, I can take the whole stack off at once.

Chuck

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I solved the problem today. I took the on/off switch completely apart and found that proper contact was not being made when the start button was depressed. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to slightly bend the contact so a better connection was made. It now starts every time.:saw: :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great news there, Stuart!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Don't you just love simple fixes!!!!!!

Glad to hear you are back in business!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS