problem with dewalt router

Status
Not open for further replies.

cprivette

New User
chris
Howdy all.

My 2hp dewalt plunge router's motor is surging. Regardless of the speed setting, the motor will run wide wide open for a while and then the speed will drop to almost nothing. this repeats over and over. Sometimes I get lucky and it works normally for a few minutes, but then it returns to the surging.
Does this mean the router's days are numbered, or is there a repair that can be made?

(It is several years old, and I don't have the model number handy)
thanks a plenty!!

chris

T

toolferone

I think you have the DW621 which I feel is a great router. It is a variable speed router and my first guess is the speed control is bad. I don't think it will help but If you blow it out with an air gun really well at the top it might help. I seem to remember there is a tach at the top of the motor. Either way I would get it fixed. Still cheaper then a new router.

cprivette

New User
chris
yep, that's the model #. and yes, it's been a great router. I'll try the air gun. what's a tach?

thank you,
chris

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
yep, that's the model #. and yes, it's been a great router. I'll try the air gun. what's a tach?

Short for tachometer, it measures the rotational speed of the motor. The speed controller needs to read this sensor to control the speed properly. If the sensor is malfunctioning, you could see symptoms like yours. Cleaning all dust out of the motor certainly can't hurt!

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I would try blowing with air first. It could be caked with dust. If it still don't work, bring it to a dewalt repair shop.

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS