probably a stupid question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

New User
Jay
Guys I am just starting to use a plug cutter to fill some screw holes in a project I am working on and am wondering if there is a trick to cutting a plug to match the grain I am trying to fill? So far I am having limited success with the matches and just figured yall must know something I don't. Thanks in advance.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Jay,

As for matching the grain pattern, if possible, find a piece of wood with similar grain pattern to use as plugs. Also, when putting the plugs in place, turn the grain in the same direction as the grain in the main piece. Prolly knew this but thought I would throw it in anyway. What seems to be your main problem? Is it getting the direction the same or just the pattern in general?

Let me know and I will try to help.

Mike

BTW, there is no such thing as a stupid question, why bang your head, just ask and I'm sure someone can help.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
mshel said:
BTW, there is no such thing as a stupid question, why bang your head, just ask and I'm sure someone can help.

The last time I did that, I cut 6 plugs 3 were but still noticable, the other three looked as though they came from a different tree species.:confused:

There are some very fine woodworker's on this site, feel free to ask all the questions you want.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Some times if you can't hide it, make it a design feature. How about a different wood, if a dark color could work, dowels make great plugs, and the end grain takes finish deeply. My .02 Dave:smile:

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
jay,

offcuts, either from rips or the ends of crosscut pieces, from the stock you're using would probably have the color match and maybe the grain match you want. also, a tapered plug cutter like the veritas ones make for a much neater and easier job.

phillip

ps. try and find some pictures of sam maloof's casework (and chairs) for a great example of daveo's suggestion.

Jay

New User
Jay
Thanks for all the help everyone I appreciate it. I am using the same wood that the project is cut from. The difficulty I seem to be having is when I think that I have matching grain pattern I cut the plug and find out that the grain doesn't run deep enough or something to that effect. I had not thought about using contrasting wood though.

Jay

New User
Jay
Okay guys and gals here is my first attempt at cutting and using plugs. I would like all the constructicve criticism I can get. I am looking to get better and I am sure there is someone out there that can help with that.
IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

sorry everybody thought I put three different pictures in not three of the same.

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It doesn't look like you are having much of a problem to me. Your grain match isn't perfect on the top one but the bottom one rocks. You've got "perfectionist syndrome", and the only thing that will cure that is to realize that most people can't do work anywhere close to what you've done. Go to Home Depot and you'll feel better. Dave:)

Jay

New User
Jay
Dave thanks for the words of encouragement. When you see the finished pics of this project you probably wont be thinking perfectionist though. Seriously though just don't want to miss out on a chance to do things a little better. I figure if you don't ask you will never know. Thanks for the input.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The Shakers had a belief that only GOD was perfect so they always made sure to include a flaw or two in their work. I go with the Shakers (if I plan to or not). Dave:)

Jay

New User
Jay
Okay guys I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this and it is kind of a continuation of this one. Anyway this is my first finished woodworking project and would like some constructive criticism on any aspect of the project. Thanks a bunch in advance.

http://ncwoodworker.net/gallery/files/4/6/Picture007.jpg

Okay guys this didn't work the way I thought it would but there are other photo's of the project in Jay's Album under Potty Seat. Take a look if you have the chance and give me whatever pointers you can think of. Thanks again.

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Your pic showed up great:eusa_clap . Although, there are better views of it in your album. I left some comments. Great job, I'm impressed and feel the urge to have me a sit-down, :eusa_thin do you make them to fit a fat arse. Dave:)

Jay

New User
Jay
Dave thanks for taking time to check it out. I just put a picture in of Maria with it. Got it done just in time for her birthday. By the way any comments on the finish I did use minwax wood conditioner on it before I stained it but it looks like it didn't help on the seat in places.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've never had good luck with wood conditioner, on hard to stain woods. My solution is if it's gonna be stained, use wood that takes stain well, and if you have to use wood that doesn accept stain evenly, consider another finishing method i.e. paint, danish oil or a top coat. How old is your daughter, she looks to be around my daughter's age, maybe we can trade potty training secrets or horror stories8-O :oops:

Dave:)

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
The only thing I could say I would maybe have done a little differently is as it's for a child I may would have rounded over the edges a bit more, at least on the sides. Just to be a little more tender on small hands and little butts in case they miss the seat.

If that is your first project then you should be very proud. Not to mention that years from now, when you are a veteran woodworker, and you present that to your daughter for her own child, how cool that will be.

CarpenterDad

New User
Terry
That's a good lookn' potty. My mom gave one that is almost identical to our first

daughter. Unfortunately she refused to sit on it. Oh well, at least it looked good

sitting in the corner.:lol:

Jay

New User
Jay
Dave she was two on October 3. Thanks for the info. on the finish. As far as the seat she loves it but does not know what it is for YET! So the jury is still out on whether she uses it or not. When it comes down to it though it doesn't matter cause I had fun building it and seeing the look on her face when she first saw it and wouldn't get off it. Jonz you are probably right on the edges. I called myself rounding them off but didn't round them as much as just took the corners off. Thanks.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mine will be 2 at the end of November, such a cute age. Mine's talking up a storm, and loves the idea of sitting on the potty, and knows what it is used for but just can get things coordinated to do it right. But they will, I've never met anyone who wasn't potty trained :lol: . Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
So very off-topic, but we just had a pee-pee in the potty. She told me she had to go and did:eusa_danc :eusa_clap :eusa_danc :eusa_clap . Just a proud daddy, now back to woodworking talk. Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS