Preston Plane rehab

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimReed2160

New User
jim
Got a bullnose Preston #1355 plane from that world famous on line auction site. It took a while to come across the pond, but here is what I received.
IMAG0027.jpg

It seemed to be in pretty good shape. Nice plating, very little brown rust staining. Time to open it up.
IMAG0028.jpg

Well, it needs some oil and the blade appears to have been sharpened by a drunken sailor. First I grind the blade square on a white wheel. Frequent dunking keeps the steel cool. Then I grind back the bevel with a pink wheel. The whole process takes about five minutes. Next comes honing on sandpaper. Then it is time to oil the plane and wipe it down.

Here are the parts after their ten minute refurb.
IMAG0029.jpg

The big question, of course, is how does the thing work. Well, here are its first shavings. Pretty fluffy!

IMAG0030.jpg

Nice plane. Fits well in hand. Solid. Looks like I have a new friend in the shop.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Looks like a great little gloat! Congratulations!

I hope to get a couple planes tomorrow. Talked to a fellow that advertised several antique planes. Sounds like he may have a joiner and a small plow, both of which I want/need.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Jim,

I got the plane blade you sent. It is nearly twice as thick as the one that came in the plane and arrived sharp as a razor. Haven't had time to try it yet, but I can tell it will be much better.

Thanks for the quick service and I will highly recommend you to anyone who needs a replacement blade for a hand plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS