Pressure Washer help?

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Unfortunately, owning a gasoline powered sprayer is out of the question at this time. We did look into renting one, and that isn’t inexpensive when you consider how little work we’re actually planning on doing.

I ‘ve got two of the electric pressure washers coming. An 1,800 psi and the Sun Joe 2,030 psi. Both have good reviews. Including ones by people who did their driveways, which is much more than we’re planning on doing.

I also picked up a pressure cleaning solution to help with the algae, mildew and dirt accumulation on the concrete.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tendriver, you will find that your clean surfaces will stay cleaner longer if you apply the mildewcide after you have cleaned the surface. If your walls face north, apply the mildewcide twice a year - once in the fall and once in the early spring. Your cleaning with a pressure washer will be easier the next time you have to do it.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Spray something like 30 Second Cleaner (I got mine at Lowes) first and then hose down with garden hose, might be all that is needed. Worked wonders on my siding. And don't put bleach in the pressure washer, especially the lower priced ones, it will mess it up over time. Pre-treat the area and then use pressure washer to rinse clean.
I had a very similar first thought to the above too. A spray down with a concrete cleaner and a scrub with a stiff bristle broom might be all that's needed.

IME, physical scrubbing is usually much faster than a pressure washer - if you can handle the effort.

-Mark

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I have had a 3500 psi gas washer for many years and while it does a good job I got tired of having equipment with gas engines to maintain. So I recently bought a very large electric one. It runs off a 50 amp 240 outlet at the front of my shop. But was more expensive than I would expect others to obtain unless they were going to use it a lot. So I am fully onboard with you going electric.

I bought an attachment from Northern that is a Venturi action nozzle you attach to the wand to spray bleach and detergent. I stick the tubing from it into a 5 gallon bucket with the solution you want to spray on first. It keeps the stuff out of your pump.

Many years ago I bought a gas washer, I think about 1500 psi, and sold it right away because it just wasn't strong enough and also wouldn't reach to top eaves of my house. So I wouldn't go less than 2000 if you plan on using on your house also.

As someone mentioned, the solution you apply I think is maybe more important than the pressure washing. You have to have the spray tip quite close to physically remove stuff with pressure so doing a large area can take a very long time.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Okay, so here’s an update. We received the 1,800 psi machine that my wife ordered. I took it out of the box. Then I decided to function test it.

A very short time later...when I had finished pressure washing about twice as much as what the HOA requested, I stopped for the night.

Everything that I “needed to do” is done, and now it’s just a matter of what else I would like to do. Turns out there’s plenty more on my own to do list.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Jeff,

He has every right to feel that way and there are pros to electrical power washers even if I’m generally not a fan of them for most purposes due to the very limited power of consumer grade electric pressure washers. The OP is not required to justify his purchase or feelings associated with his choices and we should be respectful of such.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jeff,

He has every right to feel that way and there are pros to electrical power washers even if I’m generally not a fan of them for most purposes due to the very limited power of consumer grade electric pressure washers. The OP is not required to justify his purchase or feelings associated with his choices and we should be respectful of such.

I agree with his choice and your comments Ethan. I was just curious and wasn't asking for a justification. Geez, lighten up!

Jared.c.greene

New User
Jared
I used to own a power washing company. More accurately, we operated as a ‘soft washing’ company. If it’s simply organic pollutants (green, brown, black in color), you can easily just use a bug sprayer mixed with 1 part sodium hypochlorite (normal bleach) and 3 parts water, and a splash of dawn dish detergent (to help it stick to a vertical surface). Spray on, let it sit for about 15-20 mins (NOT in direct sunlight), and then rinse off. Inexpensive, effective, and guarantees no damage to the substrate or surrounding vegetation. Just make sure you saturate all surrounding areas with water prior to applying the mix.

It’ll likely look better than any pressure washing that is attempted.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS